1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is internal battery "emf" a conservative force?

1. Jun 22, 2016 #1
    First, the electric/Coulomb force set up by a battery across its terminal is conservative, and its potential is given by the well-known V. I also understand the conventional usage of emf is as a voltage potential.

However, a battery does more than just set up the electric field and its associated voltage - it provides electrical energy, by conversion from its chemical energy, to push charges to higher potential. Is this "push" force on charges, or internal emf, a conservative force?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2016 #2

David Lewis

Gold Member

The push force and the electromotive force are not the same thing.
    The former is electrostatic force, and the latter is voltage (energy-to-charge ratio).

4. Jun 22, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

No. Electric field due to the chemical reaction in the battery is non-conservative in nature.

5. Jun 22, 2016 #4
    Thanks cnh1995 for confirming my suspicion. Would you have any references handy that explains this more?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted