Is it a misprint in QFT book of Peskin?

In summary, it is not uncommon to find misprints in QFT books due to the complexity and technical nature of the subject. These errors can be identified by discrepancies between equations, inconsistencies in notation, or errors in calculations. If a misprint is found, it is recommended to contact the author or publisher and consult other sources for clarification. While multiple misprints may be present in a QFT book, it does not necessarily indicate a lack of credibility. It is important to carefully evaluate the content to ensure understanding of the subject.
ndung200790
In QFT book of Peskin&Schroeder writing(page 252,section 7.5Renormalization of electric Charge):
(e[itex]^{2}[/itex]-e[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex])/e[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\delta[/itex]Z[itex]_{3}[/itex][itex]\approx[/itex]-2[itex]\alpha[/itex]/3[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is 4-d(d is dim of space-time)

But I think that it is misprint,because bare charge>> observed charge e,then the right formula would be (e[itex]^{2}[/itex]-e[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex])/e[itex]^{2}[/itex]=...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have found out the errata and that is not misprint.Then I do not understand the formula,because (e^2-e0^2) is the same order with e0^2 then (e^2-e0^2)/e0^2 can not be divergent as Peskin(~2*anpha/3*pi*epsilon)?

1. Is it common to find misprints in QFT books?

It is not uncommon to find misprints in any type of book, including those on Quantum Field Theory. This is due to the complexity and technical nature of the subject matter, as well as the vast amount of equations and symbols involved. However, reputable authors and publishers strive to minimize errors and provide accurate content.

2. How can I identify a misprint in a QFT book?

Misprints in QFT books can often be identified by discrepancies between equations, inconsistencies in notation, or errors in mathematical calculations. It is important to carefully review and verify all equations and concepts presented in the book to ensure accuracy.

3. What should I do if I find a misprint in a QFT book?

If you believe you have found a misprint in a QFT book, it is recommended to contact the author or publisher to report the error. They may be able to provide clarification or corrections for future editions. Additionally, you can also reach out to other readers or online forums to confirm the error and discuss potential solutions.

4. Can misprints in a QFT book affect my understanding of the subject?

Misprints in a QFT book can potentially affect your understanding of the subject if they lead to incorrect equations or concepts. However, it is important to keep in mind that these errors are typically minor and can be corrected by consulting other sources or seeking clarification from the author or publisher.

5. Should I be concerned if a QFT book has multiple misprints?

While it is always ideal for a book to be free of errors, the presence of multiple misprints in a QFT book does not necessarily indicate a lack of credibility or quality. It is important to carefully evaluate the content and consult other sources to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.