1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it good?

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1
    Hello, I have a few questions to ask. What is the highest number on the GPA scale? I saw it only goes up to 4.0. Is it good to have a 4.0 GPA overall and in all of your classes?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #2
    No it's not good to have the highest possible GPA. :rolleyes:
  4. Jan 2, 2007 #3
    Well, I guess I do have the highest possible, but is it bad to be offered Calculus in 8th grade?
  5. Jan 2, 2007 #4
    Give me 10$, and maybe I will give you my attention.
  6. Jan 2, 2007 #5
    Define bad.
  7. Jan 2, 2007 #6
    As in not suitable for the age because my Math teacher told me I should try Calculus and gave me a book.
  8. Jan 2, 2007 #7
    If you have the prerequisites I say go for it, if I had known everything I know now, in my senior year of highscool, there is no way that I think I would have passed up an oppurtunity to start learning Calculus in eighth grade.
  9. Jan 2, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

HOw could that be bad? I don't know what 8th grade is (as in how old you are) but if your teacher advised you to try calculus, and you want to, then go for it. Learning things like that early can only be beneficial.
  10. Jan 2, 2007 #9
    This is clearly a show off...
  11. Jan 2, 2007 #10
    Not really, I'm some what new here and had a few questions.
  12. Jan 2, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yea, good point, however, since I've now written my post, I suppose I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he may just be seeking advice. And anyway, given that I'm from England, I don't really know enough about a GPA to be impressed!
  13. Jan 2, 2007 #12
    I find that really hard to believe.
  14. Jan 2, 2007 #13
    Oh lay off the kid.

To the OP: If your teacher thinks you are ready, go for it. What's the worse that could happen?
  15. Jan 2, 2007 #14
    The guy asked if it was bade to be offered to take calculus. Never said a thing about if it's bad to take it. Anyway, for the latter, what does he know? Algebra? Trig?
  16. Jan 2, 2007 #15
    If his teacher is telling him to study Calculus, I would assume he knew both.
  17. Jan 2, 2007 #16
    This is why I told him above to go for it if he has the prerequisites, if he doesn't then he probably won't get much out of it and it doesn't really matter yet for him anyway if he's only in the eighth grade.
  18. Jan 3, 2007 #17
    haha. yes. Maximum possible GPA? :rofl:

when you get into high school you can go beyond a 4.0 if you take AP classes, where a b will get the points of an a, a C of a B, and so on. F is still a zero though,:tongue2:
  19. Jan 8, 2007 #18
    Unless you went to my HS, which offers NO AP classes at all and no weighting.
  20. Jan 8, 2007 #19
    No, you should get a few Bs and Cs. Colleges think you're more well rounded that way.

BTW, this is obviously a joke. If you're getting straight As keep it up. I usually never get straight As....there's always an A- or something in there somewhere.
  21. Jan 8, 2007 #20
    Subject to your own advice, I guess you're only slightly well rounded.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?