Is it ok for the freshman year?

In summary: Quacquarelli Symonds.In summary, the poster forgot most of the material he studied in his first year of university and is now struggling to remember what he learned. He learned most of the material in French, and his university is considered to be one of the best in Vietnam.
qwerty68
Ok, thank everyone. Here are my result in freshman year:
Semester 1:
Practice in General Physics: 9/10
French A1: 9.3/10
Mechanics 1: 6.7/10 :(
Linear Algebra: 6.6/10:(
Calculus1: 6.8/10:(
Semester 2:
French A2: 9.5/10
CS1: 9.6/10
Thermodynamics and molecular physics: 7.9/10
Calculus 2: 6.8/10 :(

So it is the end of math general in my university. Next year i have to learn advance math and numerical...

Is it ok for the freshman year?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those results are fine. I know people who did a lot, LOT worse in their first year and ended up with a perfectly fine degree. Don't worry about it.

I WOULD worry about it. Ds? The worry is that you haven't learned your lesson. A LOT of people get a huge shock upon entering university and have grades similar to yours. You do need to make a concerted effort to up your commitment to your studies.

It doesn't mean anything is screwed up for the future. Just like with college admissions, freshman years really don't count much. It's the people who don't change that get into trouble.

Pengwuino said:
I WOULD worry about it. Ds?

66% is a D over there? Wild! It's 4% off an A here.

Here in the USA 66% is usually a D (one step above failing). What 6.6/10 means for the original poster is anybody's guess, because we have no idea where in the world he (she?) is or which educational system he is in.

Are you really ready for advanced math courses with D's in calculus and linear algebra?? If you want to go to grad school, then you must pull yourself together and get a lot better grades next time!

jtbell said:
we have no idea where in the world he (she?) is or which educational system he is in.

Aha, looking at his other posts I see he's in Vietnam. Does anybody else here know anything about Vietnamese universities? :uhh:

Thank everyone:
66% is C+ in Vietnam. <6 is D
Practice in General Physics: 9/10 A+
French A1: 9.3/10 A+
Mechanics 1: 6.7/10 :( C+
Linear Algebra: 6.6/10:( C+
Calculus1: 6.8/10:( C+
Semester 2:
French A2: 9.5/10 A+
CS1: 9.6/10 A+
Thermodynamics and molecular physics: 7.9/10 B
Calculus 2: 6.8/10 :( C+
But in Vietnam the D or A is not important. People only care about the mark in %.

But the problem for me is:
After the exam, i forgot anything. Now i only remember French because it is a language.
I 'am learned in the program that coporate with the France.
Called: Physique Corpusculaire et Applications
From the 3 rd year, we learn all subject in French
P/S My university is the best university in Vietnam. You can search Vietnam national university, Hanoi in QS

Last edited:

1. Is it necessary to take specific courses during freshman year?

It is important to check with your university or college for specific course requirements for your major. However, most freshmen are required to take general education courses in subjects such as English, math, science, and history.

2. Can I handle a heavy course load during my freshman year?

The answer to this question depends on the individual's ability to manage their time and workload. It is recommended to start with a lighter course load and gradually add more classes as you become more comfortable with college-level coursework.

3. Is it ok to take a gap year before starting college?

Taking a gap year is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Some students may benefit from taking a break before starting college, while others may prefer to start right away. It is important to consider your goals and plans for the gap year before making a decision.

4. How can I prepare for my freshman year?

There are several ways to prepare for your freshman year, such as attending orientation, connecting with current students or alumni, and reviewing course materials before the semester starts. It is also helpful to set academic and personal goals for the year.

5. Is it normal to feel overwhelmed during freshman year?

Feeling overwhelmed is a common experience for many freshmen, as it is a major transition from high school to college. It is important to reach out to resources such as academic advisors, professors, and campus support services for help and guidance. Remember, it is normal to feel overwhelmed and it will get easier with time.