Should I do research my freshman year?

In summary, the author advises a new freshman to attend classes and get acclimated to their new campus before starting research. They advise waiting a quarter or two to see how much time the courses demand and what type of research opportunities might be available. They also advise being reliable, good at grunt work, and having 10-12 hours per week to spare.
Akshat
I'm an incoming freshman to the University of California San Diego as a Materials Science and Nanoengineering major, and I'm interested in doing research. I've been a research assistant for over 5 years at the University of Nebraska Lincoln (2 in biochemistry, 3 in physical chemistry, and 1 in chemical engineering). My most current work revolves around materials which are few atoms thick, like graphene and boron nitride. Is it a wise decision to start research immediately, or should I wait a quarter or two?

Physics news on Phys.org
Akshat said:
I'm an incoming freshman to the University of California San Diego as a Materials Science and Nanoengineering major, and I'm interested in doing research. I've been a research assistant for over 5 years at the University of Nebraska Lincoln (2 in biochemistry, 3 in physical chemistry, and 1 in chemical engineering). My most current work revolves around materials which are few atoms thick, like graphene and boron nitride. Is it a wise decision to start research immediately, or should I wait a quarter or two?

Wait until you get settled, see how much time your courses are demanding and go from there.

What college at UCSD did you get put into?

I'm in Revelle.

Akshat said:
I'm in Revelle.

Ahh, so I would focus on knocking out all those general Ed's first, you have quite a few at Revelle.

You'll be more useful for research and have a better understanding of how things work after your first year. That would probably be an idea time to look into research oppertunities.

I was also at Revelle, but as a transfer. :)

Good luck in a few weeks when classes start.

Okay, understood. Thank you.

It depends on your course load and whether you have time for it. I had a work-study job as a freshman, and I managed about 400 hours of work that year in a biology lab. It was sophomore year before I transferred to a physics lab and got involved in research. But the shift was more from grunt work to real research work rather than an increase in time.

Most labs know that freshmen need to get acclimated and are flexible with amount of time and how heavy the duties are that they impose. They often let you set your own schedule week to week and it's all good as long as you show up when you say you will. You don't need to spend tons of time, but you do need to be reliable to get invited to bigger opportunities like a full time summer research gig.

My daughter is a first year Chemistry major at a top 30 school with a job in a chemistry lab. Last year's freshmen lab employees all washed out and none were invited back this year or offered summer positions. After four weeks, my daughter has already been offered a full time summer position. Be careful, be reliable, be good. If you have 10 hours or so per week to spare, getting your foot in the door can open up future opportunities.

1. Should I do research my freshman year?

It is entirely up to you and your personal goals. Some freshmen choose to start research early in order to gain experience and explore their interests. Others may prefer to focus on adjusting to college life and taking introductory courses before starting research. Consider your own priorities and the time commitment required for research before making a decision.

2. Will doing research as a freshman give me an advantage for graduate school?

Participating in research as a freshman can certainly strengthen your graduate school application, as it demonstrates your dedication and interest in a specific field. However, research experience is not the only factor that graduate schools consider. Be sure to also maintain a strong academic record and pursue extracurricular activities that align with your interests.

3. How do I find research opportunities as a freshman?

Start by reaching out to professors in your department or in areas you are interested in. They may have ongoing research projects that you could join. You can also check with your school's career center or research office for available opportunities. Networking with upperclassmen who are involved in research can also lead to potential opportunities.

4. Is it important to have a specific research topic in mind before starting as a freshman?

It is not necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before starting as a freshman. You can use this time to explore different areas and gain a better understanding of your interests. Most research projects also have a defined research question or topic that you will work on with your mentor.

5. Will participating in research take away from my time for other activities as a freshman?

It is important to balance your time between research, academics, and other activities as a freshman. While research can be time-consuming, it can also be a valuable learning experience and help you develop important skills. Be sure to communicate with your mentor and prioritize your commitments to avoid feeling overwhelmed.