Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible for one to not have wisdom teeth?

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Is it possible for one to not have wisdom teeth? And what does it mean for them to be impacted? Why are they called wisdom teeth in the first place anyway? Just a interesting quiery I've been thinking about. :)

~Kitty

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Impacted means they grow in the jaw, instead of coming out ("erupting"). I was told as a child that they are called wisdom teeth because they appear around the "age of wisdom" - late teens to early twenties, when human beings start to show some sense.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    Not to be mean or anything...but I don't know many people around their late teens that are very wise. :rolseye:

5. Oct 20, 2005 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A tooth growing in the jaw sounds painful. I thought impacted just meant, the teeth fail to emerge fully into their expected position.

Speaking of wisdom teeth.. I had all 4 of mine pulled at one time. Two were impacted. For anyone else who has gone through this can attest, over the next few weeks it is tough to eat popcorn. :tongue2: They get stuck where the teeth were ..

6. Oct 20, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the impacted part is already covered by Ouabache. Usually impacted wisdom teeth become a problem because they are growing toward your other molars and can damage the other teeth and cause pain if not removed.

It is possible to not have wisdom teeth or to not have all four, but still have some of them.

7. Oct 20, 2005 #6
    How do you know if you don't have wisdom teeth? Can they see them on an x-ray?

~Kitty

8. Oct 20, 2005 #7
    yes, you can see them on x-ray

9. Nov 1, 2005 #8
    When I went to get my wisdom teeth removed the dentist asked me why I wanted to do that. I told him that I thought having them could cause some sort of problem. He told me that it is possible but that's the time to get them out. I asked why other dentists tell people to get them out even if there aren't any existing problems. He said "that's a scam other dentists run."

I still have them and I've never had any problems. I wonder what percentage of people would ever have any problems with them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?