Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is it possible for pure energy to have mass?

Tags:
  1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    When I ask about mass, I am really asking is it remotely possible for pure energy to have mass and possible become so dense it forms a ball with its own gravitational pull. This pull keeps the energy in a ball.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2
    Photon has mass as well as momentum but no rest mass so it can treat it as pure energy.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Energy is not a substance. "Pure energy" is a creation of science fiction writers.

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4
    So than that makes photons the most basic form of energy or just one of the many types of energy like electromagnetic and kinetic?

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5
  7. Apr 25, 2016 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Energy is a property of an object or system, like momentum, angular momentum, mass, and charge. There is no such thing as "pure energy" not associated with an object or system, just like there is no such thing as "pure momentum" or "pure charge."

8. Apr 25, 2016 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

A pair of photons that whose momenta are not parallel could be considered to be a system consisting of "pure energy" and nonetheless have a non-zero invariant mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted