Is it possible that if i wear a faraday's cage

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cage
In summary, wearing a Faraday's cage can protect you from lightning by allowing the electric flow to pass around you instead of through you. However, it may still get hot and it is recommended to have the cage around you rather than wearing it. Adding a thermal insulator may also help, but if you are touching the metal, you will still feel the heat. A car can act as a Faraday cage, but it is not a perfect one and can still be dangerous if struck by lightning. The concept of a perfect Faraday cage is an electrostatic one and may not be achievable in real life. Lightning can have a very high current, around 30,000A, and a faraday cage can reduce the chance of it jumping
quietrain
is it possible that if i wear a faraday's cage, does it mean that all lightning would pass through the cage into the ground (or ground electrons going up), then i would be unharmed?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes and no.

Yes, because the electric would flow around you instead of through you.

No, because it may get a tad hot.

You'd be better off having the cage around you and not actually wearing it.

oh, but i could add an thermal insulator around myself in the inner side? but i read that lightning charges up the surrounding air to around 20000 celsius :O is that even possible? then wouldn't everyone around the lightning rod be cooked if we were on the roof or something

also is there such a thermal insulator that blocks off 20000 degreeC ?

quietrain said:
oh, but i could add an thermal insulator around myself in the inner side? but i read that lightning charges up the surrounding air to around 20000 celsius :O is that even possible? then wouldn't everyone around the lightning rod be cooked if we were on the roof or something

Yes, it is very possible.

The heating doesn't last long enough to do any damage. It's only as long as the bolt of lightning - just long enough to super heat the air to give you thunder.

oh so around what temperature will i feel it if i add a thermal insulator between the suit and me? i would feel nothing?

quietrain said:
oh so around what temperature will i feel it if i add a thermal insulator between the suit and me? i would feel nothing?

If you are touching the metal you will feel it.

If you are not, you won't feel it - look at some videos of faraday cages to see how close you can actually get.

thanks a lot!

I have read reports that people riding in cars have been severely injured when the cars were struck by lightning. A car would seem to be a fairly good Faraday cage. And it is connected to ground by the carbon black in the tires.

Also, in theory, if the Faraday cage were perfectly spherical, then the electric field inside it would be zero, because all the field vectors from the charges on the surface would cancel each other.

However, if it were not spherical, then the cancellation would not occur, and it would seem that a giant field could be present.

That field could break down the air, and allow a current to flow through the air, and through you if you were near it.

In addition, it seems significant that the lightning may not be like a current in a wire, in the sense that, in the wire, in any imaginary boundary box, the net charge is zero, because the number of protons balances the number of electrons.

However, lightning represents a net movement of charge from the ground to the sky (or the reverse), I believe. Thus, it would seem that the Faraday cage will acquire a net charge, and a gigantic charge at that. I am not sure that a simple analysis is sufficient.

Just a comment.

I think a perfect Faraday's cage is an electrostatic concept, because as long as currents flow in the walls of the cage, the field in the metal of the cage isn't perfectly zero (though it'll be small for a good conductor and moderate currents) and because of that the field inside the cage need not be perfectly zero either.

It should still protect by reducing the fields in the interior greatly, so if people have been hurt by lightning while riding a car, I'm guessing it could have been even worse had they not been in the car when lightning struck.

so judging by a typical lightning where around 0.5C in 5ms, giving 100A (is this huge?) , i assume that since i am in a faraday cage, all the current would flow into earth?

and the generated e field due to the flowing current would not be big enough to cause a breakdown in air between the cage and me, so no spark were to fly?

or let's say i just put a thermal and electrical insulator between me and the cage, then i would be safe?

Only 100A? You may want to check that. Try nearer 30,000A!

If I remember correctly, it only takes ~0.07A to kill (might be 0.7A, but it's well under an amp).

100A is big, 30,000A is horrifically high.

:( so faraday cage won't do me any good?

so if i were to attach a lightning rod ,earthed, to myself, will i be spared the fury of the lightning? assuming i insulate myself from the lightning rod

I'm not sure where you're pulling half of this from, but it doesn't correspond to the facts too well.

A farady cage is your best bet.

Again look at the videos available of faraday cages in action.

For lightning you'd want it to be quite big to reduce the chance of the lightning jumping to you whilst you stood in it.

For the record, you do not want to try this in real life. There is a very good chance you will be killed if it goes wrong.

yea ok just wondering :) thanks

1. Is it possible that if I wear a Faraday's cage, I will be completely protected from electric fields?

Yes, Faraday's cages are designed to block electric fields from passing through, providing complete protection to anything or anyone inside.

2. Can wearing a Faraday's cage protect me from all types of radiation?

No, Faraday's cages are specifically designed to block electric fields, so they will not protect against other types of radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, or X-rays.

3. Will a Faraday's cage protect my electronic devices from lightning strikes?

Yes, a Faraday's cage can protect electronic devices from lightning strikes by redirecting the electric charge around the outside of the cage and preventing it from entering the cage.

4. Do I need to ground myself while wearing a Faraday's cage?

No, Faraday's cages do not require grounding. As long as the cage is properly constructed, it will protect against electric fields without the need for grounding.

5. Is it safe to wear a Faraday's cage for extended periods of time?

There is no evidence to suggest that wearing a Faraday's cage for extended periods of time is harmful. However, it is important to ensure that the cage is properly constructed and that you are still able to receive necessary signals, such as for communication purposes. It is always best to consult with a qualified professional before using a Faraday's cage for extended periods of time.