1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Faraday Cage and a high voltage discharge arc

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    In the following video:

I understand how the Faraday Cage works, but what has me confused is the arching. If charge is building up on the sphere and then arching over to the cage, where then is that charge sunk to? You would think it would stop arching when there was sufficient charge on the isolated cage, no?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2
    Probably the charge leaks away to ground through the air is my guess. (Unless the cage is intentionally grounded.)
    Air is not a perfect insulator.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3
    Leaking through the air in a matter of seconds each time it arcs?

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The sphere leaks less charge than the angular cage. The sparks show there is a continuing Potential Difference (like in a potential divider)

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    How is it leaking that quickly through the air? Air is a dielectric, which means it is polarizable but doesn't carry and current (unless it ionizes, but i don't see any arcs going to ground), right?

7. Mar 14, 2017 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the sphere keeps discharging then there must be current leaking somewhere. You can get fine corona on corners which you may not actually see except in a darkened room. Or, of course, there could be a resistive path through the support of the faraday cage.

8. Mar 14, 2017 #7
    Ok thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted