Faraday Cage and a high voltage discharge arc

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a Faraday Cage and how it works. There is confusion about the arching and where the charge goes when it reaches the cage. It is suggested that the charge leaks away through the air, and the sparks indicate a potential difference. However, it is questioned how the charge can leak so quickly through the air, which is a dielectric and does not carry current. It is also mentioned that there could be a resistive path through the support of the Faraday Cage.
jaydnul
In the following video:

I understand how the Faraday Cage works, but what has me confused is the arching. If charge is building up on the sphere and then arching over to the cage, where then is that charge sunk to? You would think it would stop arching when there was sufficient charge on the isolated cage, no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the charge leaks away to ground through the air is my guess. (Unless the cage is intentionally grounded.)
Air is not a perfect insulator.

Leaking through the air in a matter of seconds each time it arcs?

The sphere leaks less charge than the angular cage. The sparks show there is a continuing Potential Difference (like in a potential divider)

How is it leaking that quickly through the air? Air is a dielectric, which means it is polarizable but doesn't carry and current (unless it ionizes, but i don't see any arcs going to ground), right?

Jd0g33 said:
i don't see any arcs going to ground),
If the sphere keeps discharging then there must be current leaking somewhere. You can get fine corona on corners which you may not actually see except in a darkened room. Or, of course, there could be a resistive path through the support of the faraday cage.

Ok thanks!

What is a Faraday Cage?

A Faraday Cage is an enclosure made of conductive material that blocks external electric fields. It works by redistributing the electric charges within the cage, canceling out the electric field inside.

How does a Faraday Cage protect against high voltage discharge arcs?

When a high voltage discharge arc occurs, it releases a large amount of electromagnetic energy. The Faraday Cage acts as a shield, absorbing and dissipating this energy, preventing it from reaching the interior of the cage and causing damage.

Can a Faraday Cage protect against lightning strikes?

Yes, a Faraday Cage can protect against lightning strikes. If the cage is properly grounded, it will redirect the lightning's electric current around the outside of the cage, keeping the interior safe.

Are there any limitations to the effectiveness of a Faraday Cage?

Yes, there are limitations to the effectiveness of a Faraday Cage. The cage must be properly constructed and grounded to work effectively. Additionally, if there are any gaps or holes in the cage, it may not provide complete protection against electric fields.

What materials can be used to construct a Faraday Cage?

A Faraday Cage can be made of various conductive materials such as metal, aluminum foil, or conductive fabric. It is important to ensure that the material is continuous and has no gaps to effectively block electric fields.