Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to charge photons?

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if there is any way to electrically charge photons?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. May 28, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand what a photon IS?

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    Tell me phinds, what is a photon?

6. May 28, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

how about putting that question into google and doing some personal research :smile:
    you will learn much more that way

Dave

7. May 28, 2015 #6
    I have my own but limited knowledge of photons, wanted to know what phinds knows as extra to make such a comment.

8. May 28, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

he's telling you that if you knew a little more ... even the basics of what photons are. Then you would not have asked your original question
    as you would already known the answer was no

Dave

9. May 28, 2015 #8
    What about W+ and W- bosons?

10. May 28, 2015 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what about them ?

11. May 28, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks. I really should have spelled out that that was exactly what I was saying. I get too terse sometimes.

12. May 29, 2015 #11

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You cannot give a fundamental particle a property it does not already have. We charge objects by increases or decreases the number of negative or positive charges making up an object, but we cannot add electrons or protons to a photon.

13. May 29, 2015 #12
  14. May 29, 2015 #13
    Only certain particles carry charge: electron, muon, tau, quarks (sort of), and W bosons.

15. May 30, 2015 #14
    A photon, by (one of the) definition, is a chargeless particle, among other properties; if it were charged, it wouldn't be a photon anylonger.

But you could have asked a more interesting question: "can we give a charge to a massless particle?"

--
    lightarrow

16. May 30, 2015 #15
    Cool question though. I liked it.

17. May 30, 2015 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you give a rational explanation on why you are bringing up these particles when your original question was on photons? Are you implying that you do not know that these non-massless vector bosons are different than photons and so you are lumping them together in the same topic?

What people here are trying to figure out is what exactly do you know already. The way we try to help people understand stuff on this forum is to build up an understanding based on an existing foundation, i.e. what exactly have you understood and where exactly did you stop understanding. That is why you were asked if you know what a photon is, and to reveal that here. When we know what you know, then we can build new information ON TOP of that. Otherwise, we might easily tell you a bunch of stuff that you cannot comprehend and will go way above your head. Is this what you want?

And please, try to make some effort in clearly describing your question and more of what you had already done in attempting to answer it. Writing one-line questions or sentences one after another does not make it very clear. In this post alone, I've written MORE than all your post in this thread combined. If you wish to receive complete, well-thought out responses to your question, at the very least, you should put in a similar level of effort!

Zz.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  18. May 31, 2015 #17
    Let's put this another way: Considering the length of your original post, I perceive that you were initiating a query (i.e. ask a quick question) as opposed to initiate a discussion. If you would like a discussion, we're going to need to know a little bit more about where you're coming from; where are you wanting to go with this information (i.e. how are you wanting to apply this information? what new thoughts are wanting to draw from this? simply put, what is your ultimate goal in learning more about this?). In us knowing this, maybe we can approach the question simultaneously from two different directions, and get the complete answer more quickly. Also, as ZapperZ mentioned, for your sake we want to try to keep from 'going over your head' using concepts you don't already understand or facts you don't already know, so we can provide links to explain those things as we go along and thus as a whole come more quickly to a unified understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook