Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to define this explicitly?

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    (x-3)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 1

With some rearranging I get

y(y-4) = -x^2+6x-13

Is it possible to define this explicitly in terms of y? It looks like a mathematical impossibility to define it explicitly in terms of y but I am hoping there might be some analytical technique for this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

What does "define explicitly" even mean? The formula at the start explicitly defines a circle.
    Do you want a function ##y(x)##? Then it should be easy to see the answer is no: for every x there are two values of y.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    Define the function explicitly in terms of y.

And okay.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why not being single-valued means it's impossible to define something explicitly.

##(y-2)^2 = \text{something}##
    ##(y-2) = \pm \sqrt{\text{something}}##

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    Well in this case it is more like (y^2-4y) = something. so it is bit more complicated. Who knows, maybe one day some genius might develop a clever theory to solve it.

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

This is why I asked what "define explicitly" means.

:confused: How did you get that?
    Edit: And why not just complete the square?

8. Sep 7, 2012 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can solve the first equation for y in terms of x. However, the equation defines a relation between x and y, but doesn't represent a function. Some values of x map to two different y values.

Having said all that, it's pretty simple to solve for y. Leave the terms in y on one side, and move the terms in x to the other side. Do not expand the (y - 2)2 term. Then take the square root of both sides, remembering to use ± for the two solutions.

9. Sep 7, 2012 #8
    Oh, now I see what Alephzero was saying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook