Is It Possible to Design and Build a Feasible Pulse Generator for Home Use?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
axawire
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
This is not homework please do not move it to the homework section.

I need a pulse generator for an experiment I want to conduct at home... but I don't have that kind of money so I am trying to design and build one.

I am trying to see if the type of pulse generator I need is even feasible for me to build.

I would like to calculate how much energy and power the pulse generator would use in ideal conditions when in continuous operation. The shape of the pulse will be just one crest of a cosine/sine wave .../''\... I know the shape of this wave as current vs time. The resistance of the wire the pulse will be sent down is unknown as well as the voltage. These pulses will be in the Ghz range I do not know if ohms law is viable. Also I don't know what happens if I use a superconductor so my resistance drops to 0 and how this effects the energy requirements.

Thanks.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The power delivered depends on the load. So your ambition to define power independent of the load won't work. An open circuit, or a short circuit with superconducting wire both deliver zero power to the load.