1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to find a copy of Feynman and Hibbs?

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    I swear this book does not actually exist. Well, unless I'm willing to spend between $300 and $1200 (no, thats not a typo).

Am I correct in my suspicion that there was only a single printing of the text back in '65? Does anyone actually have a copy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    Have you ever Heard about "E-mule" .....:tongue2: :tongue2: ¡¡Yes ..It's free¡¡¡..you can find almost any book there..
  4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    I can't imagine that this won't be reprinted. The physics section at any bookstore seems to be about half Feynmaniana these days.
  5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I do have a copy, and NO! it's not for sale! I had to order it from my local book store (Kroch's and Brentano's in Chicago, long gone) twenty years ago, and it cost me around $60 which I thought an arm and a leg back then. Except as an example of the great man's ipsissima verba it's not very useful. You'd do better with Dyson's early notes, which are now online.
  6. Nov 18, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just checked on bookfinder.com, and there seem to be quite a few over-priced copies available.

I typed Hibbs into the Author field and path into the title field.
  7. Nov 18, 2006 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to photocopy it back in the early '90's when i wnated to get it. It wasn't too usefull and I found other books since then to learn path integration from.
  8. Nov 18, 2006 #7
  9. Nov 18, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've used Shulman a couple of times (public library where I used to live had a copy - go figure!). It covers different applications of PI, but I didn't find it a good introduction. I still haven't found anything I like better than Raymond's Field Theory: a Modern Primer, which lives up to its name. It does do a lot of math in the process of explaining, but I think that's an advantage over the "memorize and use" approach of so many other textbooks.
  10. Nov 19, 2006 #9
    I have a copy. You can have it for $5,000,000 dollars.
  11. Nov 21, 2006 #10
    I've actually read Feynman's original paper, and I find it to be a pretty solid introduction to the subject. I was also going to throw out Schulman because it is a very solid book.

I should imagine that Dover would republish Feynman/Hibbs, but they seem to be taking their precious time on it. I would also hope they'd reprint Baym in a few years, but again, that doesn't seem to be happening.
  12. Nov 21, 2006 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Nov 21, 2006 #12
    Which Baym? Gordon Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics is still in print.
  14. Nov 22, 2006 #13
    For some reason I was under the impression that Gordon Baym's book was out of print. I guess Amazon begs to differ...oh well.

I actually sent an e-mail to Dover Publications asking about Feynman and Hibbs' book. Sending an e-mail through http://store.doverpublications.com/customercarecenter.html asking for this might help move them in the direction of publishing this stuff, which would be nice.
  15. May 26, 2010 #14
  16. Aug 11, 2010 #15

Staff: Mentor

The Dover edition of Feynmann & Hibbs is now in stock at amazon.com, at the price of $13.57. :bugeye: It popped up in Amazon's "recommendations" for me when I visited them just now. It's at the link that physiker_192 posted above.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  17. Aug 13, 2010 #16
    umm, since he was willing to offer $1200, maybe he wants the original printing. Anyways, what's so valuable about the first one? Did Richard Feynman sign all of them?
  18. Aug 13, 2010 #17
    There's no value to the original, especially given how many typos there are. At any rate, I did buy the new Dover edition since why not it was pretty cheap. You might as well for that price.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?