Is it possible to find a copy of Feynman and Hibbs?

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman and Albert Hibbs. It is mentioned that the book is out of print and expensive, with prices ranging from $300 to $1200. Some individuals have copies of the book, but it is not readily available. Other books on the same topic, such as Dyson's and Schulman's, are also mentioned. It is noted that Dover Publications is planning to publish a corrected and affordable version of the book. The conversation also includes a link to errata for the book and discusses the value of the original printing.
franznietzsche
I swear this book does not actually exist. Well, unless I'm willing to spend between $300 and $1200 (no, that's not a typo).

Am I correct in my suspicion that there was only a single printing of the text back in '65? Does anyone actually have a copy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever Heard about "E-mule" ...:-p :-p ¡¡Yes ..It's free¡¡¡..you can find almost any book there..

I can't imagine that this won't be reprinted. The physics section at any bookstore seems to be about half Feynmaniana these days.

franznietzsche said:
I swear this book does not actually exist. Well, unless I'm willing to spend between $300 and $1200 (no, that's not a typo).

Am I correct in my suspicion that there was only a single printing of the text back in '65? Does anyone actually have a copy?

I do have a copy, and NO! it's not for sale! I had to order it from my local book store (Kroch's and Brentano's in Chicago, long gone) twenty years ago, and it cost me around $60 which I thought an arm and a leg back then. Except as an example of the great man's ipsissima verba it's not very useful. You'd do better with Dyson's early notes, which are now online.

franznietzsche said:

I just checked on bookfinder.com, and there seem to be quite a few over-priced copies available.

I typed Hibbs into the Author field and path into the title field.

I had to photocopy it back in the early '90's when i wnated to get it. It wasn't too usefull and I found other books since then to learn path integration from.

I've used Shulman a couple of times (public library where I used to live had a copy - go figure!). It covers different applications of PI, but I didn't find it a good introduction. I still haven't found anything I like better than Raymond's Field Theory: a Modern Primer, which lives up to its name. It does do a lot of math in the process of explaining, but I think that's an advantage over the "memorize and use" approach of so many other textbooks.

I have a copy. You can have it for $5,000,000 dollars.

I've actually read Feynman's original paper, and I find it to be a pretty solid introduction to the subject. I was also going to throw out Schulman because it is a very solid book.

I should imagine that Dover would republish Feynman/Hibbs, but they seem to be taking their precious time on it. I would also hope they'd reprint Baym in a few years, but again, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
StatMechGuy said:
I would also hope they'd reprint Baym in a few years, but again, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Which Baym? Gordon Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics is still in print.

Daverz said:
Which Baym? Gordon Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics is still in print.

For some reason I was under the impression that Gordon Baym's book was out of print. I guess Amazon begs to differ...oh well.

I actually sent an e-mail to Dover Publications asking about Feynman and Hibbs' book. Sending an e-mail through http://store.doverpublications.com/customercarecenter.html asking for this might help move them in the direction of publishing this stuff, which would be nice.

The Dover edition of Feynman & Hibbs is now in stock at amazon.com, at the price of $13.57. :bugeye: It popped up in Amazon's "recommendations" for me when I visited them just now. It's at the link that physiker_192 posted above.

Last edited:
umm, since he was willing to offer $1200, maybe he wants the original printing. Anyways, what's so valuable about the first one? Did Richard Feynman sign all of them?

There's no value to the original, especially given how many typos there are. At any rate, I did buy the new Dover edition since why not it was pretty cheap. You might as well for that price.

Related to Is it possible to find a copy of Feynman and Hibbs?

1. Is it possible to find a copy of Feynman and Hibbs?

Yes, it is possible to find a copy of Feynman and Hibbs. The book is still in print and can be purchased online or in bookstores.

2. Is the book "Feynman and Hibbs" still relevant?

Yes, the book "Feynman and Hibbs" is still relevant. It contains fundamental concepts in theoretical physics and is still used as a reference by scientists today.

3. Is "Feynman and Hibbs" suitable for beginners?

It depends on the level of understanding of the reader. "Feynman and Hibbs" covers advanced topics in physics and may be more suitable for those with some background in the subject.

4. Can I find an electronic version of "Feynman and Hibbs"?

Yes, an electronic version of "Feynman and Hibbs" is available for purchase or download on various platforms such as Amazon Kindle and Google Books.

5. Are there any newer editions of "Feynman and Hibbs"?

The latest edition of "Feynman and Hibbs" was published in 2010. However, there have been newer versions of the book that have been edited and updated by other authors, such as "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard P. Feynman and A. R. Hibbs.