Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to have a input & output screen or speaker?

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    K so you have your computer screen, and speakers, but can they record too (input)!? My speaker vibrates by electricity to make sound, so why can't my voice make (these speakers) vibrate and send electrical signals back? A wire shoots out photons in x amount of brightness through a color-filter, and seems to be able to record any color in cameras, I know you could have a nanotech/organism switch really fast OR have a output pixel and camera pixel right beside eachother for each "pixel", but what about a wire/ect that can shoot out, and take in? The screen could also do it at the same time since photons pass through eachother!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A speaker and microphone are very similar devices, so yes to that. Screen and camera? No, they are very different.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    But what are the physics of why I can't find a way to make the screen where the wire that shoots photons also absorbs them?

And can't you definitely though make a pixel-ed screen where each pixel has a camera pixel next to it? I'm sure this is possible to make.

Also has our civilization discovered yet and use this 2way speaker? And are my speakers infront of me able to record?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. Nov 7, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

The screen does absorb light that shines on it, but there is nothing in the screen that would record them. And even if there would, the screen does not have the necessary optics to make an image. Also, where is the point? Just add a camera at the side.
    If you would add the required electronics to measure it, yes. Using two different devices is much more practical, as the microphone has to be sensitive to very small pressure differences while a speaker has to deliver large pressure differences.

6. Nov 7, 2015 #5

russ_watters

Sure. I had a Radio Shack Electronics Project Kit in the 1980s (probably still have it...) that used a little earpiece as both speaker and microphone in different projects.
    If you hooked it up to a recording device properly, it would. But not as well as a microphone built for the task.

7. Nov 7, 2015 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

The old Ships intercom system (we had other NSFW names for it ) used the speaker as the microphone.
    1980s_misc_systems_ickaa.jpg
    The design was passed down from BSG. :DD
    Battlestar-Galactica

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook