Is it possible to see objects at 600m distance in infrared

In summary: So your question would be more accurately phrased as "can you see a 600m beam from a 500lm torch with an IR filter and goggles?" The answer is yes, you can see the beam. However, if you are looking at the beam itself, you will likely have to use a higher powered IR torch to see anything.
Calconceptofnumber1
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to see the full distance of a 600m beam from a 500lm torch with an infrared filter and infrared goggles?

Science news on Phys.org
Do you really want to look at the beam - or an object at the end of the beam that is illuminated?
To look at the beam, you would have to project it into a mist (perhaps up into a cloud).

As long as you are not looking through fog, there should be no problem.
Of course, it will depend on the goggles and on the reflectivity of the scene.
I would review the specs on the goggles.

I have used a thermal IR scope that was capable of identifying a swimmer at 2 clicks.
That's not the same as your situation for a couple reasons:
1) Thermal IR does not require illumination.
2) The device was considerably larger than goggles (roughly an 18cm aperture).
3) It had a price tag well over $200K - likely not what you are considering.

I have also used a portable IR scope - but for distances out to only roughly 150m.
That one had a price tag of about $120.

Also, it matters if you are talking about thermal or near visible infrared, (illuminated or self illuminating).

Calconceptofnumber1 said:
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to see the full distance of a 600m beam from a 500lm torch with an infrared filter and infrared goggles?
On taking a second look at your question, there is a problem. I was originally assuming that your 500 lumen torch was an IR torch - and that you were looking at it through a IR filter.

If it is a normal torch (aka "flashlight"), it may not put out any IR at all. So the IR filter could come pretty close to blacking the flashlight out all together.
IR will not travel through glass. So the light bulb will block a lot of the IR. If the flashlight uses a glass pane, that will block almost all of what's left.

Likes russ_watters
Calconceptofnumber1 said:

This is a confusing question: if your light output is specified with 'lumens', you have no information about the radiated power outside of the visible spectrum- there could be none, or there could be a lot. Then there's the issue about 'infrared filter/goggles': what is the passband of the filter, what is the detection band of the goggles?

Likes davenn and russ_watters

1. Can infrared technology actually allow us to see objects at 600m distance?

Yes, infrared technology can detect and display infrared radiation emitted by objects, allowing us to "see" them even in low light or obscured conditions.

2. How is infrared technology able to see objects at such a far distance?

Infrared technology uses specialized sensors and cameras that are sensitive to infrared radiation, which is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero. This allows objects to be detected and displayed at longer distances than visible light.

3. Are there any limitations to seeing objects at 600m distance in infrared?

While infrared technology can detect and display objects at 600m distance, certain factors can affect its effectiveness, such as weather conditions, the size and temperature of the object, and the sensitivity of the equipment being used.

4. Can infrared technology see through walls or other obstacles at 600m distance?

No, infrared technology is not able to see through solid objects. It relies on the infrared radiation emitted by objects, so if there is an obstacle blocking the view, the object will not be visible in infrared.

5. Is it possible to see objects at 600m distance in infrared without specialized equipment?

No, infrared technology requires specialized equipment, such as infrared cameras or sensors, to detect and display the infrared radiation emitted by objects. It cannot be seen with the naked eye or consumer-grade cameras.