Is it Possible to Solve a Coupled System of ODEs with ODE45 in MatLAB?

In summary, Niles suggests trying a smaller time-step, and possibly splitting the system into two parts.
Niles
Hi

I am trying to solve a simple set of coupled ODE's by ODE45. The coupled system is given by:
Code:
function xprime = eoms(t, x)

xprime = [
    1e9 + 5.0e4*x(3) - 50*x(1);
    4.0e1*x(1) - 3.3e3*x(2);
    2.0e3*x(2) - 5e4*x(3) + 3.5e7*heaviside(t-1)*x(4);
    1.0e3*x(2) - heaviside(t-1)*5.0e7*x(4)];

I solve it using the following command:
Code:
x0 = [0 0 0 0];
tspan = [0, 2];
[t, x] = ode45(@eoms, tspan, x0);
However when I compile MatLAB just keeps calculating, it doesn't give me a result. Maybe it is due to the very rapid rates in the equations. Do I have any options here, or am I not able to solve for the transient behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try mkaing the time interval much smaller, for example 0 to 1e-8, and see what happens. If that works, try increasing the interval (say by factors of 10) till it blows up.

Since you have a constant of 1e9 in your defintion of xprime, it's likely the solution contains functions similar to exp(1e9 t) or exp(-1e9 t). A conditionally stable integration method like ODE45 may need need to take time steps of smaller than 1e-9 to avoid going unstable. It may not be able to find a suitable step length, and even if it does, more than 109 steps may take a long time.

You mgiht have more luck changing ODE45 to one of the solver names ending in "s", which should work with a bigger step size without blowing up.

AlephZero said:
Try mkaing the time interval much smaller, for example 0 to 1e-8, and see what happens. If that works, try increasing the interval (say by factors of 10) till it blows up.

Since you have a constant of 1e9 in your defintion of xprime, it's likely the solution contains functions similar to exp(1e9 t) or exp(-1e9 t). A conditionally stable integration method like ODE45 may need need to take time steps of smaller than 1e-9 to avoid going unstable. It may not be able to find a suitable step length, and even if it does, more than 109 steps may take a long time.

You mgiht have more luck changing ODE45 to one of the solver names ending in "s", which should work with a bigger step size without blowing up.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have actually already tried your first suggestion, and it blows up as soon as the Heaviside step-function is different from 0. I also suspected that. I tried changing ODE45 to odes23, and now the solution pops up almost instantly! Wow, that is really good. Thanks!Niles.

Niles said:
I have actually already tried your first suggestion, and it blows up as soon as the Heaviside step-function is different from 0.

In that case, you can probably solve it with ODE45 by splitting it into two parts 0 to 1 and 1 to 2, so you force one time point to be exactly on the "edge" of the step function at t = 1.

You might need to make two versions of xprime with and without the step function included, so in effect you have heavisde(0) = 0 at the end of the first half of the solution, and heavisde(0) = 1 at the start of the second half.

That might give you a more accurate solution than odes23, which will "round off" the edge of the step a bit, in order to keep going.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping, that is kind of you. I tried extending the system of ODEs, but I get the message:

Warning: Failure at t=1.000000e+000. Unable to meet integration tolerances without reducing the step size below the smallest value allowed (3.552714e-015) at time t.

Something tells me choosing a different solver won't help me here. And I can't even change the time-step. Do I have any alternatives left?

Niles.

1. What is ODE45 in MatLAB?

ODE45 is a built-in function in MatLAB that is used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) numerically. It uses an adaptive Runge-Kutta method to approximate the solution of the ODE.

2. Why am I receiving errors when using ODE45 in MatLAB?

There could be several reasons for errors when using ODE45 in MatLAB. Some common causes include incorrect input arguments, unstable ODEs, or insufficient memory. It is important to carefully check your code and the ODE you are trying to solve to troubleshoot the issue.

3. Can I use ODE45 for systems of ODEs in MatLAB?

Yes, ODE45 can be used to solve systems of ODEs in MatLAB. You can specify the system as a vector-valued function and provide the initial conditions for each variable in the system.

4. How do I improve the accuracy of my ODE45 solution in MatLAB?

To improve the accuracy of your ODE45 solution in MatLAB, you can adjust the relative and absolute tolerances using the 'RelTol' and 'AbsTol' options. You can also try using a smaller time step size or a different solver, such as ODE23 or ODE15s.

5. Is there a way to plot the results of ODE45 in MatLAB?

Yes, you can use the 'odeplot' option in the ODE45 function to generate a plot of the solution. You can also use the 'ode45' output to access the time and solution vectors and plot them using the 'plot' function.