Is it possible to solve spring questions with Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving a block on a frictionless surface using calculus. The person has already solved it using the law of conservation but is struggling with using calculus. They ask for insight on integrating acceleration and someone suggests looking into the concept of simple harmonic oscillator.
docholliday
I found this on a previous thread and someone mentions that you can use calculus to solve it. I already solved it using the law of conservation and got .027816 m or 2.7 cm, but it's driving me nuts figuring out how to use calculus to solve.

How do I go about integrating acceleration since it's dependent on distance? Please give any insight.

1. A block of mass 0.3 kg and spring constant 24 N/m is on a frictionless surface. If the block is set into motion when compressed 3.5 cm, what is the maximum velocity of the block? How much is the spring compressed when the block has a velocity of 0.19 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
docholliday said:
I found this on a previous thread and someone mentions that you can use calculus to solve it. I already solved it using the law of conservation and got .027816 m or 2.7 cm, but it's driving me nuts figuring out how to use calculus to solve.

How do I go about integrating acceleration since it's dependent on distance? Please give any insight.

1. A block of mass 0.3 kg and spring constant 24 N/m is on a frictionless surface. If the block is set into motion when compressed 3.5 cm, what is the maximum velocity of the block? How much is the spring compressed when the block has a velocity of 0.19 m/s?

Google "simple harmonic oscillator" to find the standard calculus-based solution.

And for a quick preview... You'll start with F=ma, where F is just the spring constant k times the displacement x, and the acceleration a is the second derivative (this is where the calculus comes in) of the displacement with respect to time:
[tex]kx=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

Now try plugging in [itex]x=sin(At+B)[/itex], use the initial conditions, solve for A and B, and you'll have the displacement as a function of time. And of course the velocity as a function of time will be the first derivative of that.

FAQ: Is it possible to solve spring questions with Calculus?

1. Can calculus be used to solve spring questions?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve spring questions. Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and is commonly used to solve physical problems, including those related to springs.

2. What kind of spring questions can be solved using calculus?

Calculus can be used to solve various spring questions, such as determining the displacement, velocity, acceleration, and frequency of a spring's motion, as well as the forces and energy involved in the system.

3. Is calculus the only way to solve spring questions?

No, there are other mathematical methods that can be used to solve spring questions, such as Newton's laws of motion or the principles of work and energy. However, calculus is often the most efficient and accurate method for solving these types of problems.

4. Do I need to have a deep understanding of calculus to solve spring questions?

While a solid understanding of calculus is necessary to solve spring questions, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding. Basic knowledge of concepts such as derivatives and integrals is usually sufficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using calculus to solve spring questions?

Calculus can be a powerful tool for solving spring questions, but it does have its limitations. For example, it may not be able to accurately model more complex spring systems or take into account external factors such as friction. In these cases, other methods may need to be used or additional assumptions may need to be made.