Is It Possible to Solve These Nine Equations?

• Thread starter alikthename
  • Start date
This is because there are three free variables in the solution - or to put it another way, the solution is a 3D plane in the 9D space of possible solutions.I'm not sure what you're asking now. I thought you were asking about the meaning of a system having no solution. But if you want to know how to solve it, that's a different question.Your system has 9 equations and 9 unknowns. There is a general method for solving such systems, called Gaussian elimination. This method involves row reducing the augmented matrix (which is what you did) but it also involves using the fact that when you multiply one equation by a number, you are not changing the set of solutions. So you can multiply
alikthename
Hi everybody.

Is it possible to solve this equation?

a+b+c = 59;
d+e+c = 52;
f+b+g = 95;
a+h+i = 84;
d+h+g = 75;
f+e+i = 97;

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you have there is a system of linear equations.

Whether such systems have a solution is a well known problem. Students learn general methods for studying and solving such systems in their first linear algebra course.

Notice that you have 9 variables but only 6 equations. This means either there are no solutions, or there are infinitely many solutions.

To answer your question, you can try solving it. One way to do this would be to form an augmented matrix, and then use a method to get the matrix into reduced row echelon form. Many graphing calculators can do this for you, as well as other computer programs. It is also possible to do it by hand.

5 equations in 9 variables... you'll get rather a lot of free variables left in your solution. I note that the sixth equation is eliminated as (1)+(5)+(6) is the same as (2)+(3)+(4).

Thank you very much for answers.
Here is another point. Even if I make add up to these 6 equations another 3 and make it 9 equations like
a+b+c = 59 ;
d+e+c = 52 ;
f+b+g = 95 ;
a+h+i = 84 ;
d+h+g = 75 ;
f+e+i = 97 ;
f+c+d = 32 ;
a+h+i = 84 ;
g+e+b = 115;

Here is the result I get:
1 1 1 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

Which if I get it right means "no solution"

Is that because I have 1's as coefficients? Or because I have 0's as coefficients for other variables?

alikthename said:
Is that because I have 1's as coefficients? Or because I have 0's as coefficients for other variables?

No, for example

a+b=1
b+c=2
a+c=3

has a nice solution of a=1, b=0, c=2 (despite using 1's and 0's for coefficients).

It is just that not every set of linear equations has a solution. This is not something for a short post on the forum. You may want to google for "system of linear equations", there are many pages that discuss properties of such systems and methods used to solving them.

alikthename said:
Thank you very much for answers.
Here is another point. Even if I make add up to these 6 equations another 3 and make it 9 equations like
a+b+c = 59 ;
d+e+c = 52 ;
f+b+g = 95 ;
a+h+i = 84 ;
d+h+g = 75 ;
f+e+i = 97 ;
f+c+d = 32 ;
a+h+i = 84 ;
g+e+b = 115;

Here is the result I get:
1 1 1 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

Which if I get it right means "no solution"
It's hard to tell if you have it right because it is impossible to tell what you have done. For one thing you haven't said what your "result" means- you have not said what those "1"s and "0" in your array mean. I suspect that you set this system up as and augmented matrix and then row reduced but, because you have 9 unknowns in your equations, you should have 10 columns, one for each unknown and one for the right side.
Taking your three unknowns for this system to be "a", "b", and "c", those equations become
a+ b+ c 0 and 0= 1. Since that last equation is not true for any a, b, or c, there is no solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
alikthename said:
a+h+i = 84 ;

a+h+i = 84

Actually you still don't have 9 equations.

Your set of 9 equations - which as Borek says has a direct duplicate, never mind that for now - is encoded as a matrix equation like this:

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} a\\b\\c\\d\\e\\f\\g\\h\\i\\ \end{pmatrix}
=
\begin{pmatrix} 59\\52\\95\\84\\75\\97\\32\\84\\115\\ \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Start from there if you want to make any sense of what you have.

Likes 1 person
Just to demonstrate that there are indeed solutions to your 9 equations:

a = 20 (arbitrary choice)
b = 20 (arbitrary choice)
c = 19
d = 5 (arbitrary choice)
e = 28
f = 8
g = 67
h = 3
i = 61

Due to the relationships between the equations, I can make any choices for a, b and d (for example) and still find solutions for the other six variables.

Related to Is It Possible to Solve These Nine Equations?

1. Is it possible to solve this problem?

The answer to this question depends on the specific problem being referred to. In general, there are some problems that can be solved through scientific methods, while others may not have a definitive solution. It is important to carefully define the problem and consider all possible variables before determining if it is solvable.

2. What steps should I take to solve this problem?

The steps to solving a problem may vary depending on the nature of the problem, but in general, the following steps can be helpful:

• Clearly define the problem and understand its scope
  • Gather relevant data and information
  • Analyze the data and identify any patterns or trends
  • Propose potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility
  • Implement and test the chosen solution
  • Make adjustments and continue to refine the solution as needed

3. Are there any limitations to solving this problem?

Most problems have limitations in terms of resources, time, or knowledge. It is important to consider these limitations when attempting to solve a problem. In some cases, it may be necessary to find creative solutions or collaborate with others to overcome these limitations.

4. Can I use existing solutions to solve this problem?

In many cases, there may already be existing solutions to similar problems that can be adapted or applied to the current problem. It is important to research and consider these existing solutions before attempting to develop a new one. This can save time and resources, and may also provide valuable insights into potential challenges or limitations.

5. How can I ensure that my solution is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to use scientific methods and carefully consider all variables and potential biases. It may also be helpful to collaborate with other scientists or experts in the field to review and validate the solution. Additionally, testing and retesting the solution can help identify any potential errors or flaws.