Is it possible to transfer to nanotechnology from physical sciences at waterloo?

In summary, transferring to the nanotechnology program at UW is possible as long as you meet the admission requirements and have a good average. Planning out your courses and contacting the office of first year engineering can help determine your eligibility for transfer. Some first year courses may be able to replace first year nanotech courses, but core courses will still need to be taken. The school has stated that a low 80s average is needed during the first year and once accepted, the student will start from term 1 of the nanotech program. The student is determined and motivated to transfer into the program and believes it will be a worthwhile investment for their future goals.
funzone36
I'm still in gr.12 and going to UW next year. Just curious if anyone has an answer to my question. Thanks.

Oh by the way, I'll be taking physics, math, chemistry and biology during my 1st year.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with Waterloo's program, but in general as long as your performance is sufficient to meet the admission requirements of the program you want to get into, transferring is not a problem. Pay attention to the course requirements too so that you can avoid having to make up necessary requirements when you get in.

I am a student at UW. In my opinion, its highly unlikely you can transfer to nanotech. Tho I think you may have chance to transfer to other engineering if you have good average. Preferably 85+ average. I think its best to call the school for the detail.

i inquired about a transfer from chem eng. to nanotech after my first year. they replied that an average in the 80's was required... that was a couple years ago when the program was in its first year. though, it may give you a rough idea that the fraction of the class that probably had 80s after my 1st year was probably around ~25/140.

regardless, my suggestion would be to contact the office of first year engineering. yes, that is indeed a specific office for anything pertaining to first year engineering. I'm sure it's possible, but i don't know what the criteria would be since you'd be transferring from the sci faculty and not within the eng faculty.

a good point was made about planning out your courses. if you're really determined check the undergraduate calendar to compare the 1st year nano courses to see if you can take the antirequisites in your 1st year. though there is the rare case that antireqs aren't listed. for example, my che 102 course allowed me to be exempt from chem 120 & chem 123.

The school emailed me back and they said that I'll need at least low 80s during my first year. Also, once I get accepted, I'll start from term 1 of the nanotech program. Some courses I took first year can replace some first year nanotech courses but the core courses will have to remain. I have the motivation, aspiration and ambition to transfer into the nanotech program. I'm confident it will be worth my investment. I have something I want to do with the knowledge that I acquire.

1. Can I transfer from a physical sciences program to nanotechnology at Waterloo?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a physical sciences program to nanotechnology at Waterloo. However, admission to the nanotechnology program is competitive and not guaranteed. You will need to meet the program requirements and have a strong academic record to be considered for transfer.

2. What are the program requirements for transferring to nanotechnology at Waterloo?

The program requirements for transferring to nanotechnology at Waterloo may vary depending on your current program and academic standing. Generally, you will need to have completed a certain number of courses in math, physics, and chemistry, and maintain a minimum GPA. It is best to consult with an advisor from the nanotechnology program for specific requirements.

3. Will my credits transfer if I switch to the nanotechnology program at Waterloo?

If you are accepted into the nanotechnology program at Waterloo, your credits from your previous physical sciences program may transfer. However, this will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and may depend on the courses you have taken and their equivalency to the courses offered in the nanotechnology program.

4. Can I transfer to the nanotechnology program at Waterloo in my second year?

It is possible to transfer to the nanotechnology program at Waterloo in your second year, but it may be more difficult than transferring in your first year. This is because the nanotechnology program has a specific course sequence that may be difficult to catch up on if you have missed the first year courses. It is recommended to transfer as early as possible to increase your chances of success.

5. Will I have to start over if I transfer to the nanotechnology program at Waterloo?

If your credits transfer and you meet the program requirements, you will not have to start over completely. However, you may have to take some catch-up courses or complete extra courses to fulfill the requirements of the nanotechnology program. It is best to consult with an advisor from the program to plan your course sequence and ensure a smooth transition.