Is it time to give up trying to deploy an ASP.NET project

In summary: I'm now pushing my project to Azure, and I'll be up and running in no time!In summary, the person is trying to push their ASP.NET MVC project to Azure using Visual Studio and is having some difficulty. They have read some articles on the internet and are trying to solve the problem. They have succeeded in solving the problem and are now pushing their project to Azure.
Jamin2112
on a Hackintosh to the Azure Cloud? I thought this might be a futile effort, and I've spent about 12 hours on it (It took me about 30 seconds to do using Visual Studio on my work PC haha). But damn, I'm so close.

What I'm doing is pushing my ASP.NET MVC project, which, right now, is the template generated for a single-page ASP.NET MVC project in Xamarin for Mac, to GitHub, and am setting up Continuous Deployment in Azure so that my site is re-published every time I commit and sync changes. The project can be seen https://github.com/jamkin/ClassicSnakeGame .

The Activity Log for the failed step in my deployment is

Command: "D:\home\site\deployments\tools\deploy.cmd"
Handling .NET Web Application deployment.
All packages listed in packages.config are already installed.
ClassicSnakeGame -> D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\bin\ClassicSnakeGame.dll
D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\ClassicSnakeGame.csproj : error MSB4057: The target "pipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder" does not exist in the project.
Failed exitCode=1, command="D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe" "D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\ClassicSnakeGame.csproj" /nologo /verbosity:m /t:Build /t:pipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder /p:_PackageTempDir="D:\local\Temp\436ebd68-2a09-411c-9608-896e423a4708";AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings=false;Configuration=Release /p:SolutionDir="D:\home\site\repository\.\\"
An error has occurred during website deployment.
Handling .NET Web Application deployment.
All packages listed in packages.config are already installed.
ClassicSnakeGame -> D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\bin\ClassicSnakeGame.dll
D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\ClassicSnakeGame.csproj : error MSB4057: The target "pipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder" does not exist in the project.
Failed exitCode=1, command="D:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe" "D:\home\site\repository\ClassicSnakeGame\ClassicSnakeGame.csproj" /nologo /verbosity:m /t:Build /t:pipelinePreDeployCopyAllFilesToOneFolder /p:_PackageTempDir="D:\local\Temp\436ebd68-2a09-411c-9608-896e423a4708";AutoParameterizationWebConfigConnectionStrings=false;Configuration=Release /p:SolutionDir="D:\home\site\repository\.\\"
An error has occurred during website deployment.
C:\Program Files (x86)\SiteExtensions\Kudu\45.40617.1623\bin\scripts\starter.cmd "D:\home\site\deployments\tools\deploy.cmd"

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
So, after changing the Imports to

<ImportProject="$(VSToolsPath)\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets"Condition="'$(VSToolsPath)' != ''"/><ImportProject="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath32)\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets"Condition="true"/>

I'm getting the error

error MSB4057: The target "Build" does not exist in the project.

Hey, that's somewhat of an improvement -- getting a different error.

Success! I've never felt so happy.

Likes Silicon Waffle

1. Is ASP.NET still a relevant technology for web development?

Yes, ASP.NET is still a widely used technology for web development. It has a large community and support from Microsoft, making it a reliable and constantly evolving platform.

2. What are the main reasons for considering giving up on deploying an ASP.NET project?

The main reasons for considering giving up on deploying an ASP.NET project could be difficulties with the deployment process, compatibility issues with hosting environments, or lack of resources and support.

3. Are there any alternative technologies that could be easier to deploy than ASP.NET?

There are many alternative technologies for web development, but the ease of deployment can vary depending on the specific project and environment. Some alternatives to ASP.NET include PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Node.js.

4. What are some potential solutions for overcoming deployment challenges with ASP.NET?

Some potential solutions for overcoming deployment challenges with ASP.NET could include seeking guidance from experienced developers, utilizing deployment tools and automation, and thoroughly testing the project in different hosting environments.

5. Should I completely give up on deploying an ASP.NET project if I am facing difficulties?

No, it is not necessary to completely give up on deploying an ASP.NET project if you are facing difficulties. With proper research, troubleshooting, and support, it is possible to overcome deployment challenges and successfully deploy the project.

Back