Is it true that the derivative of 1/(random polynomial expression) is 0?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
iamsmooth
Messages
103
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


i have for example, questions like [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4-x^2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations


[tex]\frac{1}{x}=x^{-1}[/tex]

Derivative of a constant = 0

The Attempt at a Solution



So if I rewrite

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/tex]

as

[tex]f(x)=1(x^2-4)^{-1}[/tex]

then I derive:

[tex]f\prime(x)=0(x^2-4)^{-1}[/tex]

Then 0 times anything is 0. Well I guess 0 divided by anything is 0 too so I don't need to rewrite, but I think it looks better. Anyways is this true in general for the reciprocal of any equation? My class hasn't really talked about it, just an observation I'm making.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, not true. You are writing 1/(x^2 -4) as a product: 1*(x^2 - 4)^(-1). If you differentiate this, you have to use the product rule. In general d/dx(f(x)*g(x)) != f'(x)*g'(x). That's your error.
 
Oh right, I forgot product rule :(

[tex] f\prime(x)=0(x^2-4)^{-1} + 1(-\frac{1}{2}(4-x^2)^{-3/2}(2x)[/tex]

So the only thing happens is we wipe out the left side, so the derivative is just:

[tex]f\prime(x)=-\frac{1}{2}(4-x^2)^{-3/2}(2x)[/tex]

Hope I don't make such bad mistakes on my midterm tomorrow :(
 
It's cheaper to make them here than it would be on your midterm tomorrow!

I'm betting you won't forget about using the product rule tomorrow.