Is it worth it for a physics undergrad to take a non-physics research position?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on their options for gaining research experience in physics, as they are currently in their second year of undergrad and looking to apply to grad school. They have not had luck finding a research assistantship in physics and have come across a potential job in theoretical ecology. They are considering three options: continuing to search for a physics position, taking the research job and potentially switching to a physics job in the future, or sticking with the ecology job for the duration of their undergrad degree. They are seeking advice on how important it is for their research to be in the same field as their desired graduate studies. The advice given suggests taking the job if no other options are available and committing to it for the summer, as it is
tmvphil
Hello Physics Forums, and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm a physics and computer science undergrad, currently in my second year. I'd like to go to grad school, and I know the importance of having research experience, but so far I don't really have anything substantial. I've been looking for a research assistantship in physics but haven't had any luck. The funding always seems to dry up and or the professor just hired someone, etc.

Consequentially I've broadened my search, and have found a potential research job with a theoretical ecologist. The job would consist of programming models of food webs and other ecological networks.

It seems to me like I have 3 choices now-
1. Turn down the Eco/Ev job and continue looking for a physics position.
2. Take the research position in the short term, and switch to a physics job in the future.
3. Stick with the Eco/Ev job for the duration of my undergrad degree and have a good chance of getting published by the time I graduate.

So what do you think? How important is it to grad schools that your research is in the same field that you want to study? I'm leaning toward taking it, especially considering I need a job to stay during the summer, but I don't want to screw the professor over by ditching in the near future, but I also don't want to restrict my options in the future.

Thanks again
-Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go for the position if you haven't found anything else for the summer. Commit to it - at least for this summer.

I don't think that it's super-important any research that you do in undergrad be related to what you want to pursue at that graduate level. As a student you need the freedom to explore different interests. It's not uncommon for students who had their hearts set in one direction to change their minds upon getting some experience in a particular field. Graduate committees are also generally aware that students don't always get their first pick on research projects.

I think it's far more important that you do a good job with the work that you take on.

What kind of physics is it you want to do - theoretical or experimental? If theoretical, the ecology job probably isn't a bad choice. Getting skills in modeling is always helpful for a theorist. It won't teach you any quantum field theory, sure, but it should still teach you an array of skills useful to a physicist who models phenomena - model building, programming, even paper writing if you can get a publication out of it. That's probably even useful for an experimentalist - being able to program and come up with or analyze simple models for the experiment is a handy skill.

FAQ: Is it worth it for a physics undergrad to take a non-physics research position?

1. What are the benefits of a physics undergrad taking a non-physics research position?

There are several potential benefits to taking a non-physics research position as a physics undergraduate. These may include gaining a broader understanding of the scientific research process, developing interdisciplinary skills, and potentially discovering new interests or career paths.

2. Will taking a non-physics research position be detrimental to my physics studies?

It is unlikely that taking a non-physics research position will have a negative impact on your physics studies. In fact, it may even enhance your understanding of physics by providing a different perspective and allowing you to apply your knowledge in new ways.

3. How can I find non-physics research opportunities as a physics undergraduate?

There are several ways to find non-physics research opportunities as a physics undergraduate. You can search for research positions in related fields, such as engineering or materials science, or reach out to professors and researchers in other departments to inquire about potential opportunities.

4. Will my physics skills be transferable to a non-physics research position?

Yes, many of the skills and concepts you have learned as a physics undergraduate, such as critical thinking, data analysis, and problem-solving, are highly transferable to non-physics research positions. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to learn new skills and techniques that can enhance your understanding of physics.

5. How can a non-physics research position benefit my future career in physics?

A non-physics research position can benefit your future career in physics by providing you with a diverse set of skills and experiences that can make you a well-rounded and competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities. It can also demonstrate your adaptability and versatility, which are valuable qualities in the field of physics.