• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Is it worth it to be in debt?

• Thread starter kaos86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    debt
Why do you need/want to go to undergraduate school to get a degree in physics if you already have a career in physics?
Well, I'm an amateur physicist. I don't get paid on what I do and "some" would say its a hobby not a career. However, its something more than a hobby to me. Thus, I believe its my career even though I don't get paid for it.

I want a Ph.d in physics because I want to make a difference in the science community. I believe I have this "thing" where I care to help the human species. Sadly, I do need money to survive and that's how this world works. However, in the end, I just hope I can expand science and bring light to the mysteries of the universe we live in. Some of you would say "Get real" or "impossible." I believe anything is possible with science.

I hope this convince people in the community that I don't want to be some millionaire or some greedy jerk.

Last edited:
I think you're going to spend a lot of money for no really good reason. I have a very good friend in that area, and I wouldn't even dream of spending that much money for my engineering degree, even to hang out with her and enjoy the better weather. That is a lot of money. You'll hate yourself forever if you get up there and find it's not the place you thought it was.

You'll hate yourself forever if you get up there and find it's not the place you thought it was.
Good thing I made this topic, too. I'm getting thoughts and help from this great community.
I'm still looking at more schools with cheaper tuition. One thing I can agree with you is "regret" and the saddening debt I will end up if I agree to this costly tuition.

Have you ever considered University of Texas or Texas A&M? The culture is very different, especially at Texas A&M, but it's far, far cheaper (figure high-twenties per year tuition for out-of-state). They're also great physics schools, and if you decide you want to stay at your institution for grad school, they can take you all the way to Ph.D.

Have you ever considered University of Texas or Texas A&M? The culture is very different, especially at Texas A&M, but it's far, far cheaper (figure high-twenties per year tuition for out-of-state). They're also great physics schools, and if you decide you want to stay at your institution for grad school, they can take you all the way to Ph.D.
that's even more expensive:

U. of Texas-Non-resident on-campus $34,180 – 47,396

Here's the one for U. of Vermont:

Non-resident on-campus $30,744 - $45,188

Ok Kaos86. Let's be realistic here and give up on university of vermont. When it's all said and done, you'll be SO PISSED OFF AT $180K DEBT. If people are pissed off at a $50k debt, you're anger will be more than 3x their anger. Dude why don't you just work your way up the research? It doesn't even matter where you go for your undergrad. As long as it's a decent school where they teach you physics, what's the problem?

You can do your own research. Just ask your professors to volunteer. I don't see the problem with that. No matter what, you'll have to move up in the academic world. Correct me if i'm wrong but you aren't going to be doing intensive research that matter anyway are you? Just do your masters and phd after your undergrad. Grad degrees are doors to research experience. I DON'T SEE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS! You're already researching aren't you? You're an amateur physicist.

So what's the problem? You can research while you study. Reality is though, you're going to hate yourself for this and I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

that's even more expensive:

U. of Texas-Non-resident on-campus $34,180 – 47,396

Here's the one for U. of Vermont:

Non-resident on-campus $30,744 - $45,188
Huh. I distinctly remember something very different. Sorry for the bad advice.

diazona
Homework Helper
I'm not sure it's worthwhile to pay $200K for a Bachelor's degree from Harvard, and it's even more doubtful from the U. of Vermont.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Harvard is cheaper :wink: And I think they have a pretty generous financial aid system which pays out in grants instead of loans.

Here's what I'm wondering: at another college, you could get a physics education of comparable or possibly better quality at a lower cost. Perhaps $100,000, perhaps $10,000. So what exactly would you be getting from U. of Vermont that makes you think it's worth that extra $100K?

Huh. I distinctly remember something very different. Sorry for the bad advice.
It's ok. At least your helping me :smile:

You could always go to the University of Florida (which is a pretty good school if I recall) for your bachelors and then go to Vermont for your masters/phd.

Here's what I'm wondering: at another college, you could get a physics education of comparable or possibly better quality at a lower cost. Perhaps $100,000, perhaps $10,000. So what exactly would you be getting from U. of Vermont that makes you think it's worth that extra $100K?
Well, I've been researching this university for a week. I saw in the catalog that they offer a B.S. and a M.S. in physics. Also, as an undergrad. in physics, you can get an opportunity in a research project with a faculty member.

You could always go to the University of Florida (which is a pretty good school if I recall) for your bachelors and then go to Vermont for your masters/phd.
I would do that, but my mission is to get away from Florida. I'm trying to be independent and have my own life experiences. I have no job and I still live with my parents. Believe me when I say this, I've been looking for a job over a year now. I think it's time to "leave" the nest for a better life.

What state do you live in? Edit: Nevermind. I understand wanting to get out of Florida, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. University of Florida is a perfectly good school, and after spending loads less on in-state tuition, you can go anywhere you want for grad school and pay nothing or next to nothing.

What state do you live in? Edit: Nevermind. I understand wanting to get out of Florida, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. University of Florida is a perfectly good school, and after spending loads less on in-state tuition, you can go anywhere you want for grad school and pay nothing or next to nothing.
Yeah, but I really want to get out of here. I'm so desperate to start my own life. I'm 23 years old and I will have my A.A. this fall semester. I did so much research into this school, but the sacrifice of being in debt is painful. I'm sure someone here in this community is having this experience.

Eh, I hate it in Texas. Like I said (I edited my post) you should probably bite the bullet and look forward to grad school.

Eh, I hate it in Texas. Like I said (I edited my post) you should probably bite the bullet and look forward to grad school.
Its something to think about. Good thing this is not a final decision.

diazona
Homework Helper
Well, I've been researching this university for a week. I saw in the catalog that they offer a B.S. and a M.S. in physics. Also, as an undergrad. in physics, you can get an opportunity in a research project with a faculty member.
Well yeah, but you can do that pretty much anywhere. Is there something specific to University of Vermont that really makes you want to go there, that you can't get anywhere else?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They do have some pretty darn good maple syrup up there.

Well yeah, but you can do that pretty much anywhere. Is there something specific to University of Vermont that really makes you want to go there, that you can't get anywhere else?
well, the U. of Vermont is built in the city of Burlington. Thus, I don't need a car and I could walk anywhere if I want. The bus is free to U. of Vermont students, too. I know some universities offer free transportation from there shuttle buses, however; when I finish school, how will I get around now? I really want a small city or city by the university. I looked at different websites saying that you can walk any where or use a bike in the U. of Vermont. I wish I can take the car I'm sharing with my brother, but I think he needs it more since he's not going to school anymore(He's got his A.A. degree but he does not want to go to a university).

They do have some pretty darn good maple syrup up there.
Maybe I'll taste it if I made my final choice.

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I just wanted to add my vote to the 'it would be insane to spend that much money on tuition' tally.

All things being equal, it sounds like this school would be the place for you. But all things aren't equal. In the grand scheme of your life, is 4 years of earlier freedom worth the 20 years it will take to pay off the debt?

And for a fraction of that money you could buy yourself a pretty kickass car.

I just wanted to add my vote to the 'it would be insane to spend that much money on tuition' tally.

All things being equal, it sounds like this school would be the place for you. But all things aren't equal. In the grand scheme of your life, is 4 years of earlier freedom worth the 20 years it will take to pay off the debt?

And for a fraction of that money you could buy yourself a pretty kickass car.
Good point, it seems like I have to be rich to go to any university that is out-of state.
Maybe, I should do some more research and calculate the financial aid and loans. I hope I can find a university that has some "Cheap" method of transportation.

It takes people 20-30 years to pay off the mortgage on a house. I don't see how everyone looks at that as being "okay". Why doesn't the same apply for student loans?

If you have little or no income, you should be getting a good deal of financial aid...But it's still a going to be a lot of money that you have to pay, regardless.