Is My Calculation of Lorentz Transformation Correct for Δx and Δt'?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
elevenb
Messages
34
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


t6bedi.jpg


Homework Equations


gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif


The Attempt at a Solution


Hey, I would really appreciate some help with this. I have worked out the Lorentz factor to be 5.025. Am I right to assume that Δx = 200000km, and Δt' = 1.2s and I have to work out Δt and Δx'?

If these are correct I have worked out Δt to be 0.8926 and Δx' to be -3.12(*10^8)? It doesn't seem right..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##\gamma=5.025## yes.
You have not defined your variables or explained your method so I cannot tell what you hoped to find.

Take a step back and consider - the observer is A, the planets are E and G (saves typing).
A,E,G are in a line ... A saw the flash from E first and from G second ... what is the sequence of events?
Can you construct the timeline in A's reference frame?
 
Simon Bridge said:
##\gamma=5.025## yes.
You have not defined your variables or explained your method so I cannot tell what you hoped to find.

Take a step back and consider - the observer is A, the planets are E and G (saves typing).
A,E,G are in a line ... A saw the flash from E first and from G second ... what is the sequence of events?
Can you construct the timeline in A's reference frame?

The line is A,G,E no? Well if I go purely by intuition, I would assume that in A's reference frame E fired first, and then G fired in reply. Which would make sense at non relativistic speeds. I just am not sure how I bring the speed of A into it to find out who fired first in E and G's frame of reference. (Which is what I am looking for?)