Lorentz Transformation with Two Moving Frames

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving downward from the top of a tower at 0.98c and the tower also moving up at 0.98c. The goal is to find the apparent height of the tower from the perspective of the particle. The equations used to solve this problem are modified Lorentz formulae and the equation for addition of velocities in special relativity. The key is to determine which reference frame the velocities are given in.
trevor51590

Homework Statement

Essentially, a particle is moving downward from the top of a tower at 0.98c, and the tower is moving up at 0.98c. I am to find the apparent height of the tower from the perspective of the particle

Homework Equations

Δx=γ(Δx′+vΔt′)

Δt=γ(Δt′+vΔx′/c2)

Δx′=γ(Δx−vΔt)

Δt′=γ(Δt−vΔx/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve multiple ways and I think I just am getting the concept wrong and could use a hint-

Essentially I figured if both frames are moving at .98c, then the apparent movement of the particle would be 2(.98c) if the tower frame would be fixed, and that I could solve it as a Galilean. The way I was told to solve it was by modifying the Lorentz formulae and frankly I'm having a brain fart figuring out my frames. I was also told c cannot be over 1, which made my original method not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brain fart sounds uncomfortable...

So in the question, they are saying that in some reference frame the particle is moving down at 0.98c and the tower is moving up at 0.98c.

Or are they saying that in the tower's reference frame the particle is moving down at 0.98c and in the particle's reference frame, the tower is moving up at 0.98c?

If it is the second case, then obviously the relative speed between the tower and the particle is 0.98c.

If it is the first case, the velocities do not add so simply as you assumed. So it would not be 2(.98c). You need to use the equation for addition of velocities in special relativity.

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation with Two Moving Frames?

The Lorentz Transformation with Two Moving Frames is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time measurements in two frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity.

2. Why is the Lorentz Transformation important in physics?

The Lorentz Transformation is important in physics because it helps to explain how measurements of space and time are relative and how they are affected by the speed of an observer or object. This is essential in understanding concepts such as time dilation and length contraction in the theory of relativity.

3. How is the Lorentz Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Transformation is derived from the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. By applying this principle and using mathematical equations, the Lorentz Transformation can be derived to describe the relationship between two moving frames.

4. What is the difference between the Lorentz Transformation and Galilean Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation and Galilean Transformation are different mathematical equations that describe the relationship between space and time measurements in different frames of reference. The Galilean Transformation is used for objects moving at low speeds, while the Lorentz Transformation is used for objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. How does the Lorentz Transformation affect our everyday lives?

The effects of the Lorentz Transformation, such as time dilation and length contraction, may not be directly observable in our everyday lives. However, they have significant implications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, which rely on the precise measurement of time and space to function accurately. The principles of the Lorentz Transformation also play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.