Is My Proof Correct? Understanding the Complex Modulus Inequality

In summary, the correct proof for proving \mid z + \overline{z} \mid \leq 2 \mid z \mid is to use the triangle inequality and substitute for \overline{z} as the conjugate of z. The original proof had incorrect signs due to confusion between real and complex numbers.
ramble
I would like to prove [itex]\mid z + \overline{z} \mid \leq 2 \mid z \mid[/itex]

The first way I could think of:
[tex]
\begin{multline}
RHS^2 - LHS^2\\
=4\mid z \mid^2 - \mid z + \overline{z} \mid ^ 2\\
=4z\overline{z} - (z + \overline{z})(\overline{z}+z)\\
=4z\overline{z} - z\overline{z}-z^2-\overline{z}^2-z\overline{z}\\
=2z\overline{z}-z^2-\overline{z}^2\\
=-(z^2-2z\overline{z}+\overline{z}^2)\\
=-(z-\overline{z})^2\\
\leq 0 ?
\end{multline}
[/tex]

I now know the correct proof is as follow:
[tex]
\begin{multline}
\mid z + \overline{z} \mid\\
\leq \mid z \mid + \mid \overline{z} \mid\\
= \mid z \mid + \mid z \mid\\
= 2 \mid z \mid\\
\end{multline}\\
[/tex]

But what is wrong with my original proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing is wrong with it. what is z-z*? It's not a real number, is it...

okay got it..
lets say b is Im(z).
then b^2 is always positive, and (ib)^2 is always negative...

you just got the signs wrong to start with.

Last edited:
according to my proof, instead of [itex]\mid z + \overline{z} \mid \leq 2 \mid z \mid[/itex], it is [itex]\mid z + \overline{z} \mid \geq 2 \mid z \mid[/itex]...

z is a complex no. and [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] is its conjugate. Have I mixed up some basic rules in complex no. with those in real no.?

Sorry forgoth I haven't noticed your reply when i post mine... but I do not understand... do you mean that I cannot square a complex no?

[tex]-(z-z^*)^2=-(a+ib-a+ib)^2=4b^2>0[/tex]
your last line had the wrong signs... or i just missed something.

Last edited:
When ever you do something like this, always step back and think: what happens in a simple example. For instance why not put z=i in and see what happens?

But you are confusing some rules of real numbers with complex ones. Sure, if you square a real number it is positive, but the whole raison d'etre of complex number is that you have things that square to negative numbers.

I see... thx~
Too much used to real no... have never thought that there would be a problem on that line
(never thought of posting a question in a forum could get immediate response too~ ^^)

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a + bi is the number a - bi. It is found by changing the sign in front of the imaginary part.

3. Why do we need to use complex numbers?

Complex numbers are used in many mathematical and scientific fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are especially useful in solving equations that involve square roots of negative numbers.

4. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = 8 + 6i and (3 + 2i) - (5 + 4i) = -2 - 2i.

5. Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided just like real numbers. To multiply complex numbers, use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last) and simplify. To divide complex numbers, multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator and simplify.