1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my proof valid?

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    Can someone check if my proof is correct.Please exscuse the bad notation, i've no idea how to type the symbols.
    The question was prove that between any 2 rational number , there is a third rational.

x,y ,z are elements of Q
    (for all x ) (for all y) (there exist z)[x>z>y] <->
    (for all x ) (for all y) (there exist z)[(x>z) ^ (z>y)]

Proof by contradiction:
    Suppose its false that for any x and y , there exists a z between x and y

~((for all x ) (for all y) (there exist z)[x>z>y])
    (there exists x) (there exists y)( for all z)[ (x< or = z) V (z < or = y)]
    There is no x that is smaller than or equals to any z.
    There is no y that is larger than or equals to any z.
    Both are false, the disjunction is false.
    Therefore the statement (there exists x) (there exists y)( for all z)[ (x< or = z) V (z < or = y)]
    is false and the statement (for all x ) (for all y) (there exist z)[x>z>y] is true.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since you have not used any facts about rational numbers, it seems vanishingly unlikely that your proof is valid.
    How about doing something really simple and obvious: given two rationals p/q and r/s construct a rational that lies between them.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #3
    If i construct a rational in between p/q and r/s , i doesnt apply to any other rationals, so it doesnt really prove anything. Am i misinterpreting your statement ( im really bad at math so please excuse my lack of ability)?

5. Oct 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

P, q, r and s can be any integers (q, s nonzero). If you construct a rational between p/q and r/s then you will have provided a general construction for any given pair of rationals.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

p/q and r/s are arbitrary rational numbers. Haruspex is suggesting that you construct an expression in terms of p, q, r and s that is rational and guaranteed to lie between the the two.

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6
    Ah ok i see , thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted