Can I Handle This Rigorous Course Load with a Part-Time Job?

• Thread starter TTM2025
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, the person is seeking advice on their packed schedule, which includes university physics, mathematical methods in physics, modern differential equations, general chemistry, and an introduction to computer science course. They work 30 hours a week and are considering dropping computer science to focus on theoretical physics. Another person suggests talking to an advisor and potentially decreasing work hours to balance the workload. They recommend keeping extracurricular activities to a minimum to manage the workload.
TTM2025
Hello everyone. I wanted to seek some advice on whether my schedule is good or is it too packed. I also work 30 hours a week.

Spring 2016

University Physics 3 w/ lab (4 credits)

Mathematical Methods in Physics 1 (3 credits)

Modern Differential Equations (3 credits)

General Chemistry 1 w/ lab (4 credits)

Introduction to Computer Science C++ (4 credits)

Physics news on Phys.org
It does seem a bit packed... especially considering you work 30 hours a week.

Would it better to drop computer science and take it at a different time? I am trying to go into theoretical physics.

I would talk to an adviser at your school and go over your current and future schedule to make sure you aren't overloaded and don't drop a pre-req or something.

Likes TTM2025
Alright, well thank you very much for your advice.

Hey, if I was to decrease my amount of work time to 24 hours a week would the extra 6 hours make it a good schedule or still a bit packed?

I've had a similar schedule in the past, except instead of working 30 hours a week, I worked 15 hours a week and also a couple hours of volunteer work a week, and was in some clubs. I think it's doable if you drop your work hours to 24 hours a week, but then don't consider more than maybe one extracurricular at most, and no commitment (i.e., don't become a Vice Pres. of a club or a project manager). However, I'd recommend trying to drop your workload to 20 or 18 hours a week if you can.

1. Why is having a packed schedule a concern?

Having a packed schedule can lead to burnout, stress, and a decreased quality of life. It can also make it difficult to prioritize tasks and can cause important tasks to be overlooked or rushed.

2. How can I determine if my schedule is too packed?

Consider if you have enough time for self-care and relaxation, if you feel overwhelmed or constantly rushed, and if you have enough time to complete all your tasks without feeling overly stressed. You can also try tracking your daily activities and see if there are any gaps in your schedule.

3. What are some signs that my schedule is too packed?

Some signs that your schedule may be too packed include feeling exhausted, having trouble focusing, experiencing difficulty completing tasks, and feeling like you don't have enough time for yourself or your loved ones.

4. How can I make my schedule less packed?

Consider delegating tasks, saying no to unnecessary commitments, and prioritizing your tasks. It can also be helpful to schedule specific times for self-care and relaxation, and to create a more balanced schedule with a mix of work and leisure activities.

5. What are the benefits of having a less packed schedule?

Having a less packed schedule can lead to increased productivity, better mental and physical health, and a better work-life balance. It can also give you more time to focus on self-care, hobbies, and spending time with loved ones.