Is Ph.D. Graduate School possible for me?

In summary, you should apply to graduate school for a Ph.D in Pure Mathematics if you have a record of good grades and research experience. UVA is a likely place to receive acceptance.
LMKIYHAQ
I am trying to get some feedback on my possibilities of attending Graduate School for a Ph.D in Pure Mathematics. Specifically, if it is possible... which universities can I expect to receive acceptance from. Which types? In specific, my highest goal is UVA, (University of Virginia). I have yet to fill in my more realistic options because I am not very familiar with University acceptance.

My record is as follows. I hope this is enough information.

----

Undergraduate in Mathematics/Concentration in Teaching. Did not include Topology,Algebra, or Analysis.

GPA 3.25, including 3 F's in English, Pre-Calculus, and Intro to Programming. All repeated and passed, in specific... an A in Pre-Calculus.

----

General GRE:
Math - 760
English - 530
Essay - 5

----

Graduate Degree at the same university I attended for B.S.

Fall,
Intro Algebra - A
Intro Analysis 1 - B
Intro Topology - A
Methods of Appd. Mathematics 1- B

Spring,
Intro Analysis 2 - A
Complex Analysis Apps. - A
Methods of Appd. Mathematics 2- A
Independant Study-Topology - A

Fall,
Real Analysis 1 - A
Algebra 1 - A
Advanced Linear Algebra - A

Spring,
Real Analysis 2 - A
Algebra 2 - A
Independant Study- TBA A

----

Subject GRE:

I will take it after preparation during the summer after my first Graduate M.S. year.

----

I will also have good recommendations from professors.

I will not have very much research.

I will have taught lower-level classes at my University for 2 years of my M.S. study.

----

Thank you

EDIT: I want to study mathematics because I love it and it's fun.

EDIT2: I want to let Universities know that I will (if they request) retake their Analysis, Topology, Algebra courses and add a couple years onto my graduation time. I assume that this is usually not what they want though. Since my B.S. and M.S. might be relatively "light" I want to do all that I can in order to get accepted somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey you should definitely give it a shot. I think the graduate courses are great. Definitely apply!

Though I never got any Fs, I actually had a slightly lower GPA than you, about 3.1. I also only had a 42%-ile on the physics GRE. I ended up getting into a PhD program at a good graduate school, i.e. most of the people here had >3.5, and scored way better on the GRE, and one of my friends here even went to an ivy league school. Not sure why they picked me, but I ended up passing the PhD qualifier and have a 3.46 so far. I guess it goes to show that you can have not the best grades and still be successful as a PhD student.

Of course, there are a couple other things I should mention. Almost all of my bad grades were from my first couple of years. I ended up doing far better my last two years, getting A's and B's in all of my classes (except for graduate-level cosmology), and I had a lot of research experience too. Since you did an MS, you've got the research down. And it looks like your grades are excellent. I don't see why you couldn't get into a PhD program.

Probably wouldn't get into an Ivy league (still worth a shot though!), but there is definitely a place out there for you on a PhD program. You seem self motivated and you certainly have all the right courses. One of my colleagues on the physics PhD was a chemistry major and was on a Basoon scholarship, so he didn't have the 'right' background, but ended up doing really well.

I always say that its not the grades you get, but what you do with them. I've never really been an 'A-grade' student, but I'm determined and hard working and finally passed my PhD defense last week. If you put your mind to it...

1. Can I pursue a Ph.D. in graduate school if I have a low undergraduate GPA?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Ph.D. in graduate school with a low undergraduate GPA. While GPA is a factor in the admissions process, it is not the only determining factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Do I need a master's degree to apply for a Ph.D. program in graduate school?

It is not always necessary to have a master's degree to apply for a Ph.D. program in graduate school. Some programs offer a direct entry option for students with a bachelor's degree. However, having a master's degree can be beneficial as it can demonstrate your ability to handle graduate-level coursework and research.

3. Is it possible to work full-time while pursuing a Ph.D. in graduate school?

It is possible to work full-time while pursuing a Ph.D. in graduate school, but it can be challenging. A Ph.D. program requires a significant time commitment, and balancing work and school can be difficult. It is important to carefully consider your schedule and make sure you have enough time to dedicate to both work and your studies.

4. Can I apply for a Ph.D. program in a different field than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, you can apply for a Ph.D. program in a different field than your undergraduate degree. Many Ph.D. programs do not require a specific undergraduate degree, and some even encourage students to have diverse academic backgrounds. However, you may need to take additional coursework to catch up on any knowledge or skills required for the program.

5. How do I choose the right Ph.D. program in graduate school for me?

Choosing the right Ph.D. program in graduate school can be a daunting task. It is important to consider factors such as the research interests and expertise of the faculty, the program's curriculum and requirements, and the overall culture and atmosphere of the department and university. It can also be helpful to talk to current students and alumni to get a better understanding of the program and its strengths and weaknesses.