Is Philosophy a need in Biology?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not studying philosophy is necessary for a student studying to become a Biology teacher. Some argue that philosophy is necessary for understanding ethics and other relevant issues in science, while others believe it is not necessary and may even be a distraction from the scientific material. However, many agree that studying philosophy of science is important for a scientist's education, and thus could be beneficial for a Biology teacher.
Damaris_B
Hi,

My first time on this forum found you when i was googling :biggrin: I wanted to know if i have to take Philosophy if i am studying Teaching Secondary Biology. I have to choice in this group to register for the next term of school here is a list

Cinema Appreciation
A survey of World Literature
Jazz and Popular Music in America
Introduction to Philosophy
Theatre Appreciation

So as you can see those are my options. I would like to take Jazz and Popular Music but is Philosophy something that i need to do to become a Biology Teacher

OOps.. hehe... i think this was supposed to go to Academic Guidance lol...well i can't seem to delete this so hopefully someone can help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Take what you want. That's the purpose of distribution requirements... to get you to take classes that you wouldn't otherwise take because they have no immediate "practical" use in your intended career.

Of course if you take philosophy now, after a difficult day teaching, you might be able to come up with a better answer to "Why am I doing this?"

:rofl: Lol true...thanks! :biggrin:

TMFKAN64 said:
Of course if you take philosophy now, after a difficult day teaching, you might be able to come up with a better answer to "Why am I doing this?"

:rofl: I agree with your suggestion to take whatever sounds most enjoyable. There is no need for a philosophy course to be able to teach biology, so if that doesn't sound as interesting as one of the other choices, go with the one you think you'll enjoy most.

Philosophy is a natural outcome of human thinking. It actually relies on a person to think and most intelligent people can engage in philosophical thinking, both with and without the help of other people. Other members may clarify as they see fit.

The best suggestion for you is, take what courses you believe are practical. WHOOPS! After looking at your list, none of those seem "practical"; so best suggestion is take whichever one you think you would like the best.

Damaris_B said:
Hi,

My first time on this forum found you when i was googling :biggrin: I wanted to know if i have to take Philosophy if i am studying Teaching Secondary Biology. I have to choice in this group to register for the next term of school here is a list

Cinema Appreciation
A survey of World Literature
Jazz and Popular Music in America
Introduction to Philosophy
Theatre Appreciation

So as you can see those are my options. I would like to take Jazz and Popular Music but is Philosophy something that i need to do to become a Biology Teacher

OOps.. hehe... i think this was supposed to go to Academic Guidance lol...well i can't seem to delete this so hopefully someone can help me...
Definitely! Alchemy classes are a must for chemistry majors as astrology classes are compulsory for astrophysics students.

Defennder said:
Definitely! Alchemy classes are a must for chemistry majors as astrology classes are compulsory for astrophysics students.

that's a horrible analogy... you seem to be confusing philosophy with theology...

op:

if you're going to teach biology, then philosophy is definitely relevant: the mind/body problem, questioning what is knowledge, ethics/relativism/morality... these are all issues that a science teacher at any level should be versed in...

daviddee305 said:
t

if you're going to teach biology, then philosophy is definitely relevant: the mind/body problem, questioning what is knowledge, ethics/relativism/morality... these are all issues that a science teacher at any level should be versed in...

I disagree. Those things are all mumbo jumbo created by philosophers that only distract from the science. One need not take a philosophy course to develop an understanding of ethics either...in fact, the ethics course I took through a philosophy department was the biggest bunch of hooey completely out of touch with reality that I've ever had to be subjected to in my life. I think the course would have better fit under the title of abnormal psychology.

Moonbear might have run into philosophy teachers who are hooey but it is possible on the other hand he missed something.

I always found that professional philosophers generally had some valuable insight to add concerning ethical issues.

I would not put a rigid wall where you can say science ends philosophy begins and vice versa. The so called arguments against evolution, e.g. the 'not proven' ones are as much a philosophical mistake as a 'scientific' one - they are about e.g. what is a scientific meaning of proven (what is required for anything you can say is scientific - which you have to know what means!) Or if anyone says there is a 'gene for homosexuality' or greed or conservatism or liberalism, I think it needs both biological and philosophical grasp to criticize that category mistake.

With the development of biology and its influence on our lives, say babies to order just for example, or predictive medicine etc. etc. is bioethics going to get less important or more?

These are things students may be challenging teachers on. It is not educative to say only dissect your frog and do the exam and shut up!

If you are going into teaching you are not going to close your books when you qualify and think you know enough, a good teacher will be in lifetime development both for strict technical aspects and wider ones. So I think it is good to have a start in that world of philosophy at this time.

Last edited:
Why are people in this thread talking about Ethics? The sort of philosophy in question that the original poster might need in order to teach Biology is philosophy of science.

Studying philosophy of science is indispensable to a scientist's education. I rarely ever meet scientists who are not at least somewhat familiar with Bacon, Hume, Popper, Kuhn and the like. Almost all the graduate students in my department have studied philosophy (I'm in a neuroscience department).

I don't see how the original poster could expect to be a good high school science teacher without an understanding of the issues that are discussed in philosophy of science. High school science teachers should be teaching the scientific method. I don't see how you could do that effectively without philosophy.

That said, I never had a high school science teacher that I would consider to be good by these standards...

I tend to personally agree that a philosophy course might be useful to a bio teacher. Here in the "bible belt", bio teachers that I sometime do outreach with say they get plugged with the worst anti-evolution sentiments, etc. from students as well as parents. Now an intro to philosophy course might be a bit dull versus a more tailored philosophy of science course... but if you take the course thinking about these things, it might prepare you for some of those hard and sensitive questions later on (you could perhaps focus a class paper or two on such a topic). Not that you can't prepare for those questions on your own...

I personally do always find the history interesting though... many philosophers you'd study in such a course were also scientists and mathematicians.

What is the relationship between philosophy and biology?

Philosophy and biology are both fields of study that seek to understand the world and our place in it. While biology focuses on the scientific study of living organisms and their processes, philosophy explores the fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, and ethics. In this sense, philosophy and biology have a complementary relationship, with philosophy providing a broader perspective on the implications and meaning of biological discoveries.

Why do some people argue that philosophy is not necessary in biology?

Some people argue that philosophy is not necessary in biology because they believe that science alone can provide a complete understanding of the natural world. They may also see philosophy as abstract and disconnected from the concrete realities of biology. However, others argue that philosophy is essential in providing a framework for interpreting and evaluating scientific findings, as well as addressing ethical and moral implications of biological research.

How can philosophy contribute to the study of biology?

Philosophy can contribute to the study of biology in several ways. It can provide a critical perspective on the assumptions and methods of biology, helping to identify potential biases and limitations. Philosophy can also offer conceptual tools and theories that help inform and guide biological research. Additionally, philosophy can help address ethical and social issues that arise from biological discoveries, such as the ethics of genetic engineering.

Is philosophy a necessity for all biologists?

While philosophy can offer valuable insights and perspectives for biologists, it is not a necessity for all who work in this field. Many biologists may not have a deep understanding of philosophical concepts, and that does not diminish the importance or validity of their work. However, having some knowledge of philosophy can enhance a biologist's ability to think critically and engage with the broader implications of their research.

What are some specific areas of overlap between philosophy and biology?

There are several areas of overlap between philosophy and biology, including the philosophy of science, bioethics, and the philosophy of mind. The philosophy of science explores the nature of scientific knowledge and the methods used to acquire it, which is relevant to the study of biology. Bioethics examines the ethical considerations of biological research and its applications, while the philosophy of mind investigates the relationship between the brain, consciousness, and the mind, which has implications for understanding living organisms.