Is possible to completely remove solder from a PCB pad?

• Thread starter f95toli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is there a method that could be used to completely remove the solder and get back to the clean, bare, pad?
We recently ordered a batch of populated PCB. Unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding around the solder mask some gold plated pads that should have been left bare were covered in solder. The PCBs are part of sample holders and the bare pads are used to wire bond (using aluminium wire) to the DUT. Because of the unwanted solder the PCBs are now essentially useless and they aren't exactly cheap.
Sometimes is possible to wire bond to solder (I've done it in the past) but for some reason it doesn't work on these PCBs (probably because of the solder used).

Is there a method that could be used to completely remove the solder and get back to the clean, bare, gold?
I am familiar with normal desoldering methods but AFAIK they all leave a thin layer of solder on the pad.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that you've tried solder wick and it is still leaving a solder coating? When you hit the pad with hot air at an angle, does it look like it is trying to expose any gold?

Have you tried mechanical scraping? I'm guessing solder is a little softer than the gold, but probably not by much...

Maybe this process will work.
1. Remove excess solder with fine solder wick.
2. Press gold leaf onto the flat pad.
3. Re-flow with hot air.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G, Averagesupernova, Rive and 2 others
You could try gold plating over it after you've removed as much as possible. I've never tried it, and am pretty ignorant about this stuff, but there are gold brush plating tools that you could investigate that might leave the rest of the PCBA undisturbed.

https://www.goldplating.com/products/gold-smith-machine

Likes Rive
Anyway, you'll never get it all off. At the microscopic level the atoms mix (dissolve?).

You can also plate by dipping it in various solutions, which could work if the pads are near the edge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_plating

I think that gold is already mixed with the solder => unusable.
I would try to remove as much solder as possible: first with a solder wick, then with a 'fiber pen' down to bare copper.
Then, there are some PCB Gold Repair Kits...

PCB gold repair kits can be very expensive. They have a limited life.

A pack of 100 sheets, (90x90 mm squares), of "24k gold leaf", should last you a lifetime.
On-line, that costs less than US$10, including postage.

Sure cheaper, but I wonder how a copper-solder-gold sandwich would work as a base for wire bonding.
Experiments will be needed.

Turn the problem around - if you solder wire-wrap pins to the problematic areas, you can use wire-wrap techniques to connect - or is there something that I do not understand in the problem description?

Svein said:
or is there something that I do not understand in the problem description?

he wanted to clean all the solder off the gold plated pads

which would be mostly impossible, as the gold and solder would form an amalgam

davenn said:
he wanted to clean all the solder off the gold plated pads

which would be mostly impossible, as the gold and solder would form an amalgam
As I read the OP, he stated "the bare pads are used to wire bond (using aluminium wire) to the DUT". I replied to that part, not the derived problem of removing the solder.

Svein said:
"the bare pads are used to wire bond (using aluminium wire) to the DUT"
For me that sounds like they are testing some 'bare die' or alike: so not the usual modules, chips or anything 'big' (for wire wraps), but something really small and delicate.

1701767532460.jpeg

Firstly, sorry for not replying sooner. For some reason the "alert bell" did not show that anyone had replied to the thread(!). Thanks for all the replies.

Anyway, . I think I've also concluded that getting the solder off won't be possible, at least not without using some nasty chemicals which I doubt I would be allowed to use,
I've now been in contact with the company that made the PCBs and they've agreed to split the cost of making new ones (we are splitting the cost because I should have been more clear about what was needed, but they accepted it as a repeat order and still did something differently from last time)

Svein said:
Turn the problem around - if you solder wire-wrap pins to the problematic areas, you can use wire-wrap techniques to connect - or is there something that I do not understand in the problem description?

Svein said:
As I read the OP, he stated "the bare pads are used to wire bond (using aluminium wire) to the DUT". I replied to that part, not the derived problem of removing the solder.

No, we use wire bonding to connect to quire small microfabricated devices
https://www.fsbondtec.at/wire-bonder/?lang=en

There is no solder involved, and the pads needs to be very clean for the process to work.

Likes berkeman

1. Is it possible to completely remove solder from a PCB pad?

Yes, it is possible to completely remove solder from a PCB pad, but it requires careful handling and the right tools. Techniques such as using a solder wick, solder sucker, or hot air reflow can be effective, depending on the amount of solder and the type of components involved.

2. What tools are required to remove solder from a PCB pad?

The most commonly used tools for removing solder are a soldering iron, solder wick (also known as desoldering braid), solder sucker (desoldering pump), and hot air stations. Each tool has its specific use case, and sometimes a combination of these tools is needed for best results.

3. Can removing solder damage the PCB pad?

Removing solder can potentially damage the PCB pad if not done properly. Excessive heat, mechanical stress, or aggressive use of tools can lift or damage pads. It's important to use a controlled temperature and gentle techniques to minimize the risk of damage.

4. What are the best practices for removing solder from PCB pads?

Best practices include using the lowest effective temperature on your soldering iron, applying flux to improve heat transfer and solder flow, gently using tools like solder wicks or solder suckers, and avoiding excessive pressure on the PCB pads. It's also advisable to clean the area with isopropyl alcohol after desoldering to remove any residual flux or contaminants.

5. How can one ensure all solder is removed from a PCB pad?

To ensure all solder is removed from a PCB pad, inspect the pad visually and possibly under a microscope after desoldering. Use additional flux and reheat the pad if any solder remains, employing tools like a solder wick to absorb excess solder. Repeat the process until the pad is clean and free of solder. A final inspection should confirm that no solder or minimal, non-conductive residues remain.