Is quantum collapse an interpretation?

In summary: This is correct. The minimal interpretation does not require the assumption of instantaneous collapse.
zonde
Gold Member
A have seen here on forum statements that quantum collapse is interpretation dependent, for example:
PeterDonis said:
Collapse isn't a phenomenon, it's an interpretation. There are many interpretations of QM, and not all of them have collapse.

So I would like to ask for explanation that does not relay on quantum collapse for this phenomena:
We have unpolarized beam of light. It goes trough two orthogonally oriented polarizers. Assuming idealized polarizers we detect no light after second polarizer. Then we insert third polarizer oriented at 45 degrees between the first two. Now we observe 1/8 of the intensity of original beam of light.

How such experiment is treated in no collapse interpretations?

Likes ModusPwnd
Physics news on Phys.org
In the minimal interpretation, you just change the wording. Instead of saying "collapse" you say "update of information". Everything else remains the same as in collapse interpretation.

Likes bhobba, mikeyork, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
In the minimal interpretation, you just change the wording. Instead of saying "collapse" you say "update of information". Everything else remains the same as in collapse interpretation.
But certainly "update of [experimenter's] information" can not explain this experiment as something different has to happen with beam of light between two setups as we observe different results.

In Everett's Interpretation we accept that the system including the measuring device, the laboratory, the observer and the environment really is in a state consisting of classically incompatible "branches" which are mutually "invisible". The mathematical description i.e. the state vector with superposition of components (called "branches", "worlds", ...) results from the unitary time evolution w/o collapse; the "invisibility" follows from decoherence. So we simply accept this prediction which fits to our observations - instead of introducing an ad-hoc collapse via an additional postulate. That means we believe that the state vector and its unitary time evolution describe the structure and th dynamics of the "real system out there" and does not only encode information we have access to and which we have to adjust based on measurement outcomes.

Without this realistic philosophical position there is no need to believe in Everett's Interpretation.

zonde said:
How such experiment is treated in no collapse interpretations?
Mathematically it's standard quantum mechanics w/o ever referring to collaps, projection etc. Born's rule must follow as a theorem from other axioms; we do have indications that this works, but afaik there is no consensus on this issue.

Last edited:
Likes zonde, akvadrako and dextercioby
zonde said:
But certainly "update of [experimenter's] information" can not explain this experiment as something different has to happen with beam of light between two setups as we observe different results.
That's correct, the minimal interpretation does not answer such questions. That's why it is called minimal.

One of non-minimal interpretations without collapse is the Bohmian interpretation. To see how it explains phenomena like the one you described in the first post, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/1305.1280

Likes bhobba and zonde
zonde said:
It's indeed very simple. An ideal polarizer is realizing an ideal von Neumann filter measurement, i.e., you prepare photons (or if you experiment with usual light, coherent states of the em. field) with a determined polarization. You just through away the unwanted stuff, not polarized in the direction given by the polarizer. You don't need to assume an instantaneous collapse, it's just a local (!) interaction between the em. radiation and the polarizer. The minimal interpretation just doesn't make the unnecessary assumption of an esoteric mechanism that "collapses" something instantaneous in entire space(time)!

Likes odietrich, Mentz114 and zonde
Demystifier said:
That's correct, the minimal interpretation does not answer such questions. That's why it is called minimal.

One of non-minimal interpretations without collapse is the Bohmian interpretation. To see how it explains phenomena like the one you described in the first post, see
https://arxiv.org/abs/1305.1280
Well, as to be expected it's about non-relativistic particles. I'm not aware that there is a satisfactory BM treatment of photons. Note that photons don't even have a position observable to begin with. So how can BM with its preference for trajectories in position space ever describe photons?

vanhees71 said:
Note that photons don't even have a position observable to begin with.
They do, it's just not Lorentz covariant. But that's not a problem for instrumental approaches to QM, because you can always define the position observable with respect to the Lorentz frame in which the detector is at rest. After all, the photon detector determines the photon position, doesn't it?

vanhees71 said:
So how can BM with its preference for trajectories in position space ever describe photons?
There are many ways to do it, if you are ready to postulate a preferred Lorentz frame in a manner which does not contradict existing experiments.

tom.stoer said:
In Everett's Interpretation we accept that the system including the measuring device, the laboratory, the observer and the environment really is in a state consisting of classically incompatible "branches" which are mutually "invisible". The mathematical description i.e. the state vector with superposition of components (called "branches", "worlds", ...) results from the unitary time evolution w/o collapse; the "invisibility" follows from decoherence. So we simply accept this prediction which fits to our observations - instead of introducing an ad-hoc collapse via an additional postulate. That means we believe that the state vector and its unitary time evolution describe the structure and th dynamics of the "real system out there" and does not only encode information we have access to and which we have to adjust based on measurement outcomes.
Thanks, for your explanation.
I would like to ask, at what point do you place "decoherence"? Does it happens in polarizers or in detector?
tom.stoer said:
Mathematically it's standard quantum mechanics w/o ever referring to collaps, projection etc. Born's rule must follow as a theorem from other axioms; we do have indications that this works, but afaik there is no consensus on this issue.
Are you not mixing up collapse with Born's rule? Collapse "happens" at polarizers while Born's rule is applied at the end (at detector). Isn't this so?

Demystifier said:
They do, it's just not Lorentz covariant. But that's not a problem for instrumental approaches to QM, because you can always define the position observable with respect to the Lorentz frame in which the detector is at rest. After all, the photon detector determines the photon position, doesn't it?There are many ways to do it, if you are ready to postulate a preferred Lorentz frame in a manner which does not contradict existing experiments.

The photon detector defines the position of a local interaction between the photon and the detector material. Indeed you can live with a preferred frame as far as it is determined by the physical situation, and the detector-rest frame makes sense.

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
It's indeed very simple. An ideal polarizer is realizing an ideal von Neumann filter measurement, i.e., you prepare photons (or if you experiment with usual light, coherent states of the em. field) with a determined polarization. You just through away the unwanted stuff, not polarized in the direction given by the polarizer. You don't need to assume an instantaneous collapse, it's just a local (!) interaction between the em. radiation and the polarizer. The minimal interpretation just doesn't make the unnecessary assumption of an esoteric mechanism that "collapses" something instantaneous in entire space(time)!
So your approach is to ditch particles (photons) up until detection. Well, I suppose it works for my example.
But if I replace photons with gold atoms and polarizers with SG apparatuses? What about this modified experiment?

I don't understand what you mean. Of course, I have an incoming photon, prepared in its state. Then it's interacting with the polarizer, either being absorbed or let through (with probabilities given by Born's rule for the prepared state). Those photons that come through are polarized accordingly to the polarizer's orientation. That's what a polarizer does after all!

There's no fundamental difference between this example and the SG aparatus. The only difference is that the SG apparatus doesn't filter (except you put some blocking material in some of the partial beams) but entangles position with the spin component in direction of the magnetic field. This is even described by unitary time evolution of QT since it's not an "open system" from the point of view of the gold atoms as in the case of the photons, where you have treated the polarizer effectively.

vanhees71 said:
I don't understand what you mean. Of course, I have an incoming photon, prepared in its state. Then it's interacting with the polarizer, either being absorbed or let through (with probabilities given by Born's rule for the prepared state). Those photons that come through are polarized accordingly to the polarizer's orientation. That's what a polarizer does after all!
Hmm, probably I misunderstood you.
But then the idea of collapse is that polarization of photon "collapses" from it's initial polarization to the new polarization state according to polarizer's orientation if it goes through the polarizer. Isn't this the same what you are saying?

I don't know, what you understand by the term "collapse". Usually, it's understood that the quantum state after a measurement goes instantaneously into a corresponding eigenstate of the operator representing the measured observable. This process is clearly outside of the quantum dynamics based on local interactions (in relativistic QFT), and it violates Einstein causality. However, if you look more closely at it, this assumption is simply not needed and by nothing justified from the formalism and its application to the desription of real-world observations and experiments. That's why I am a proponent of the minimal statistical interpretation, which is practically just the flavor of the class of Copenhagen interpretations without a collapse assumption. I think, it's pretty close to what Bohr meant, although I cannot say with certainty what he really thought, because his papers are pretty enigmatic (too much philosophy for my taste). The same holds for Heisenberg's writing. I prefer Dirac and Pauli, which give a clear picture of quantum theory without philosophical additions that obscure the scientific content of the theory!

@vanhees71 : But going from a superposition of vertical and horisontal polarization to let's say vertical, is not unitary. It is a projection. How do you explain things without it.

That's exactly what I said. The reason is that we treat the polarizer effectively, i.e., not as part of the quantum dynamics.

Likes zonde
vanhees71 said:
That's exactly what I said. The reason is that we treat the polarizer effectively, i.e., not as part of the quantum dynamics.
That only pushes the projections further down the chain. The question, the way I understood it, was can you have an interpretation that never needs to use a projection (or something equivalent)?

I don't think so, because we "project" all the time by sorting out the states we want.

vanhees71 said:
I don't know, what you understand by the term "collapse". Usually, it's understood that the quantum state after a measurement goes instantaneously into a corresponding eigenstate of the operator representing the measured observable.
Yes, this is my understanding. Did I said something different?
vanhees71 said:
This process is clearly outside of the quantum dynamics based on local interactions (in relativistic QFT), and it violates Einstein causality.
It's local in my example. Well, if you consider EPR experiment then yes, it's non-local.
vanhees71 said:
However, if you look more closely at it, this assumption is simply not needed and by nothing justified from the formalism and its application to the desription of real-world observations and experiments.
You have my simple example. So show how do you treat it without collapse.
vanhees71 said:
The reason is that we treat the polarizer effectively, i.e., not as part of the quantum dynamics.
Basically you are saying that "collapse" is emergent from more complete unitary dynamics. But that does not change the fact that it represents real physical phenomena.

If you have a collapse, it's never local, because it claims that the quantum state changes instantaneously, in the extreme case from a mixed to a pure state. That's outside the quantum dynamics based on local interactions.

Which real physical phenomena does the collapse represent? I don't know a single example!

vanhees71 said:
Which real physical phenomena does the collapse represent? I don't know a single example!
Surely you know that photon beam interacts with polarizer. And I suppose that you consider it real physical phenomena.
So you don't think that collapse prepresents this phenomena, right?

zonde said:
Surely you know that photon beam interacts with polarizer. And I suppose that you consider it real physical phenomena.
Surely you can call it what you like ? We know it is a projective measurement between light and polarizer and the physics is well understod. As with SG apparatus.
You think it should be part of the unitary evolution but there is no reason to expect that.

zonde said:
No, the local interaction between between the em. field and the matter in the polarizer represent this phenomenon, according to QED. I don't need a collapse to describe it.

Mentz114 said:
Surely you can call it what you like ? We know it is a projective measurement between light and polarizer and the physics is well understod. As with SG apparatus.
You think it should be part of the unitary evolution but there is no reason to expect that.
On a microscopic level, it is part of the unitary evolution, but it is completely sufficient to describe the interaction of the photon with the polarizer effectively with the polarizer being described classically. Then the polarizer is reduced to a projection operator to the polarization state given by its orientation.

This effective description is of course not given by unitary S-matrix since we don't resolve the microscopic interaction between the photon and the polarizer.

vanhees71 said:
On a microscopic level, it is part of the unitary evolution, but it is completely sufficient to describe the interaction of the photon with the polarizer effectively with the polarizer being described classically. Then the polarizer is reduced to a projection operator to the polarization state given by its orientation.

This effective description is of course not given by unitary S-matrix since we don't resolve the microscopic interaction between the photon and the polarizer.
The part I've emphasized is a source of controversy, is it not ?

If a measurement has to extract /add information from/to a system then it cannot avoid changing the state of some part in a non-unitary (dissipative) way. This is implied by thermodynamics which seems to apply at macroscopic and microscopic scales.

vanhees71 said:
I don't think so, because we "project" all the time by sorting out the states we want.
So you think that you cannot have an interpretation without projection and at the same time you are convinced that you can have one without collapse. Aren't these two the same?

Likes Demystifier and zonde
zonde said:
"Update of information" does not require an experimenter. It requires only interaction for information to be updated in the knowable (not necessarily known) universe. Once information exists in the knowable universe it cannot be contradicted by experiment. This is a basic assumption of science.

zonde said:
Are you not mixing up collapse with Born's rule? Collapse "happens" at polarizers while Born's rule is applied at the end (at detector). Isn't this so?
The collapse happens at no specific point in space. The quantum state does neither depend on space, nor does it live in space; it lives in an abstract Hilbert space.

The collapse simply happens whenever and wherever it seems appropriate to project the full quantum state - after unitary time evolution - to some subspace selected via observation. If you measure an eigenvalue then you project the full state to the corresponding subspace. So the collapse happens in your mind when you readjust the information you have.

The collapse is nothing real; it cannot be real in the same sense as the unitary time evolution b/c it contradicts this unitary time evolution.

So the consequence is either to use the collapse as a tool for calculations giving up a realistic interpretation of the quantum state, or to insist on a realistic interpretation of the quantum state and giving up the idea of a collapse.

Likes Boing3000 and dextercioby
tom.stoer said:
The collapse happens at no specific point in space. The quantum state does neither depend on space, nor does it live in space; it lives in an abstract Hilbert space.

The collapse simply happens whenever and wherever it seems appropriate to project the full quantum state - after unitary time evolution - to some subspace selected via observation. If you measure an eigenvalue then you project the full state to the corresponding subspace. So the collapse happens in your mind when you readjust the information you have.

The collapse is nothing real; it cannot be real in the same sense as the unitary time evolution b/c it contradicts this unitary time evolution.

So the consequence is either to use the collapse as a tool for calculations giving up a realistic interpretation of the quantum state, or to insist on a realistic interpretation of the quantum state and giving up the idea of a collapse.

The unitary time evolution occurs after the collapse. So neither collapse nor unitary time evolution are real.

Likes entropy1
zonde said:
So I would like to ask for explanation that does not relay on quantum collapse for this phenomena:
We have unpolarized beam of light. It goes trough two orthogonally oriented polarizers. Assuming idealized polarizers we detect no light after second polarizer. Then we insert third polarizer oriented at 45 degrees between the first two. Now we observe 1/8 of the intensity of original beam of light.

There is no collapse here. Collapse is needed when you make a sequence of measurements (ie. more than one measurement per setup). However, you have only described two different setups, each with a single measurement.

atyy said:
The unitary time evolution occurs after the collapse. So neither collapse nor unitary time evolution are real.
I don't agree.

For an instrumentalist (or positivist) neither time evolution nor collapse describe something that is "happening out there in the real world as described". But for a realist something in our mathematical model does indeed describe what is "really happening...". Because unitary time evolution and collapse are contradictory they cannot be real "in th for same sense". So you have to make a choice!

The choice of Everett's supporters is to interpret the unitary time evolution as a realistic description of a process happening out there in the real world (read Deutsch, as an example) and to reject the collapse.

I haven't seen any interpretation doing it the other way round, i.e. to reject unitary time evolution as being "real" but chose the collapse:-)

Likes martinbn
atyy said:
There is no collapse here. Collapse is needed when you make a sequence of measurements (ie. more than one measurement per setup). However, you have only described two different setups, each with a single measurement.
Would you agree if I change the wording a bit? Say, collapse is needed when we make a sequence of projections i.e. more than one projection per setup?

tom.stoer said:
The collapse happens at no specific point in space.
But decoherence is physical process that happens at specific limited span of time, right? So can you point out the "point" in time when decoherence happens? Does it happen when photon got past the polarizer or when it reaches detector?

Likes entropy1
tom.stoer said:
If you measure an eigenvalue then you project the full state to the corresponding subspace. So the collapse happens in your mind when you readjust the information you have.
If physical situation out there changes with time and you reflect that change in time within your model using projection then projection represents some real dynamics. And while projection is done by you the changes of physical situation that are represented by projection are not done by you. Map is not the territory.

zonde said:
But decoherence is physical process that happens at specific limited span of time, right? So can you point out the "point" in time when decoherence happens? Does it happen when photon got past the polarizer or when it reaches detector?
Decoherence happens whenever quantum system and measurement device get entangled with environmental degrees of freedom.

zonde said:
If physical situation out there changes with time and you reflect that change in time within your model using projection then projection represents some real dynamics.
As I explained the non-unitary collaps cannot represent real dynamics b/c it mathematically contradicts dynamics represented by unitary time evolution.

From a realist perspective: the interaction of a quantum system with a measurement device (its atoms, electrons etc.) is a quantum mechanical process and therefore the dynamics must be compliant with unitary time evolution; b/c the collapse is non-unitary it violates the fundamental rule for any quantum mechanical process and cannot be "real".

The way out is that the collapse is only an apparent one, i.e. that the overall dynamics is unitary, compliant with quantum mechanics, but that due to decoherence it appears as collapse.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is quantum collapse?</h2><p>Quantum collapse refers to the sudden and unpredictable change in the state of a quantum system when it is observed or measured. This phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is also known as wave function collapse.</p><h2>2. Is quantum collapse a real physical process?</h2><p>The answer to this question depends on the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Some interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, view quantum collapse as a real physical process. However, other interpretations, such as the many-worlds interpretation, see it as a result of the observer's interaction with the system.</p><h2>3. Can quantum collapse be explained by classical physics?</h2><p>No, quantum collapse cannot be explained by classical physics. Classical physics operates on a deterministic framework, where the state of a system can be precisely determined and predicted. In contrast, quantum mechanics is probabilistic, and quantum collapse is a result of this probabilistic nature.</p><h2>4. Does quantum collapse violate the laws of conservation of energy and momentum?</h2><p>No, quantum collapse does not violate the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. These laws still hold true in quantum mechanics, but they operate differently compared to classical physics. For example, in quantum mechanics, energy and momentum can be exchanged between particles without violating these laws.</p><h2>5. How does the concept of superposition relate to quantum collapse?</h2><p>Superposition is the principle that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Quantum collapse occurs when an observation or measurement is made, causing the system to collapse into one of these possible states. Superposition and quantum collapse are integral parts of understanding the behavior of quantum systems.</p>

1. What is quantum collapse?

Quantum collapse refers to the sudden and unpredictable change in the state of a quantum system when it is observed or measured. This phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is also known as wave function collapse.

2. Is quantum collapse a real physical process?

The answer to this question depends on the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Some interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, view quantum collapse as a real physical process. However, other interpretations, such as the many-worlds interpretation, see it as a result of the observer's interaction with the system.

3. Can quantum collapse be explained by classical physics?

No, quantum collapse cannot be explained by classical physics. Classical physics operates on a deterministic framework, where the state of a system can be precisely determined and predicted. In contrast, quantum mechanics is probabilistic, and quantum collapse is a result of this probabilistic nature.

4. Does quantum collapse violate the laws of conservation of energy and momentum?

No, quantum collapse does not violate the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. These laws still hold true in quantum mechanics, but they operate differently compared to classical physics. For example, in quantum mechanics, energy and momentum can be exchanged between particles without violating these laws.

5. How does the concept of superposition relate to quantum collapse?

Superposition is the principle that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Quantum collapse occurs when an observation or measurement is made, causing the system to collapse into one of these possible states. Superposition and quantum collapse are integral parts of understanding the behavior of quantum systems.