Can Quantum Gravity Serve as a Theory of Everything?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Quantum Gravity being a Theory Of Everything (TOE) when combined with QFT and GR. It is suggested that it could also be a theory of 'almost everything' and may not adequately explain dark energy. The development of a theory assuming QFT and GR are true may not enable us to derive either QFT or GR. The conversation also mentions the potential of LQG and String theory to answer questions about black holes and the big bang, but it may not explain the fundamental nature of the universe. The concept of causal fermion systems is also brought up as a possible framework for understanding the fundamental entities in the universe.
friend
I'm wondering if Quantum Gravity is expected to be a Theory Of Everything (TOE)? Can we expect that if we combine QFT with GR to get Quantum Gravity, will that be a TOE that explains GR and QFT?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think is should be a candidate for a TOE, since QFT describes everything other than gravity.
It's as likely though that it could turn out to be a theory of 'almost everything', for example it might not adequately explain dark energy.

As of now, it's not only not a TOE, its' not even a T.

Likes haushofer
It seems to me that any development of a theory assuming QFT and GR are true will not enable us to then derive either QFT or GR. We might be able to answer some questions about black holes and big bangs. But we still won't know why the universe is quantum mechanical or general relativistic. So what should we expect to find out with LQG or Stringtheory?

friend said:
It seems to me that any development of a theory assuming QFT and GR are true will not enable us to then derive either QFT or GR. We might be able to answer some questions about black holes and big bangs. But we still won't know why the universe is quantum mechanical or general relativistic. So what should we expect to find out with LQG or Stringtheory?
i thought string theory can rederive GR on its own?

black hole 123 said:
i thought string theory can rederive GR on its own?
Causal fermion system
Here's another possibility I literally just found. I see string theory as a theory of anything, so I wonder if string theory could be used to model this "causal fermion system" as well?

"Taking the concept seriously that the states of the Dirac sea form an integral part of the physical system, one finds that many structures (like the causal and metric structures as well as the bosonic fields) can be recovered from the wave functions of the sea states. This leads to the idea that the wave functions of all occupied states (including the sea states) should be regarded as the basic physical objects, and that all structures in space-time arise as a result of the collective interaction of the sea states with each other and with the additional particles and "holes" in the sea. Implementing this picture mathematically leads to the framework of causal fermion systems." - Putting the "darkness" of matter right in the core of its basis?

1. What is Quantum Gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is a branch of theoretical physics that attempts to describe the behavior of gravity at the quantum level.

2. Why is Quantum Gravity important?

The unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity is considered one of the biggest unsolved problems in modern physics. Quantum gravity is important because it could potentially provide a complete understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and help us better understand the universe.

3. Is Quantum Gravity a Theory of Everything (TOE)?

Currently, there is no consensus among scientists on whether quantum gravity can be considered a TOE. While it aims to unify two fundamental theories, there are still many unresolved issues and it is still a highly speculative area of research.

4. How do scientists study Quantum Gravity?

Since quantum gravity is a theoretical framework, scientists study it through mathematical models and simulations. They also use data from experiments and observations to test the predictions of different quantum gravity theories.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to Quantum Gravity?

There are several proposed solutions to quantum gravity, including string theory, loop quantum gravity, and asymptotic safety. However, none of these have been definitively proven and the search for a complete understanding of quantum gravity is still ongoing.