Is showing that a series of functions is differentiable as simple as it appears?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jdinatale
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Here is the problem and my want. I think I might be overlooking something because it seems rather simple...

prime.png


primeprime.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Hence"? how do you know you can differentiate this infinite sum of differentiable functions? what rule tells you that? do you know the weierstrass "M test"?
 
mathwonk said:
"Hence"? how do you know you can differentiate this infinite sum of differentiable functions? what rule tells you that? do you know the weierstrass "M test"?

Yes, I have access to the Weierstrass M-test. But that seems to deal with uniform convergence, and it doesn't quite seem to deal with differentiability or continuity. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.
 
Straight from a book:

"If, on differentiating a convergent infinite series [itex]\sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} G_v(x) = F(x)[/itex] term by term, we obtain a uniformly convergent series of continuous terms [itex]\sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} g_v(x) = f(x)[/itex], then the sum of this last series is equal to the derivative of the sum of the first series"