1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is showing that a series of functions is differentiable as simple as it appears?

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    Here is the problem and my want. I think I might be overlooking something because it seems rather simple...

prime.png

primeprime.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Hence"? how do you know you can differentiate this infinite sum of differentiable functions? what rule tells you that? do you know the weierstrass "M test"?

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    Yes, I have access to the Weierstrass M-test. But that seems to deal with uniform convergence, and it doesn't quite seem to deal with differentiability or continuity. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.

5. Jan 22, 2012 #4
    Straight from a book:

"If, on differentiating a convergent infinite series [itex] \sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} G_v(x) = F(x) [/itex] term by term, we obtain a uniformly convergent series of continuous terms [itex] \sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} g_v(x) = f(x) [/itex], then the sum of this last series is equal to the derivative of the sum of the first series"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook