Is showing that a series of functions is differentiable as simple as it appears?

• Thread starter jdinatale
  • Start date
Here is the problem and my want. I think I might be overlooking something because it seems rather simple...

prime.png

primeprime.png

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2020 Award
"Hence"? how do you know you can differentiate this infinite sum of differentiable functions? what rule tells you that? do you know the weierstrass "M test"?

"Hence"? how do you know you can differentiate this infinite sum of differentiable functions? what rule tells you that? do you know the weierstrass "M test"?

Yes, I have access to the Weierstrass M-test. But that seems to deal with uniform convergence, and it doesn't quite seem to deal with differentiability or continuity. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.

Straight from a book:

"If, on differentiating a convergent infinite series [itex] \sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} G_v(x) = F(x) [/itex] term by term, we obtain a uniformly convergent series of continuous terms [itex] \sum_{v = 0}^{\infty} g_v(x) = f(x) [/itex], then the sum of this last series is equal to the derivative of the sum of the first series"