Is sin(x + y) = 1 a function of x on R?

• Thread starter CatWhisperer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the given relation, sin(x + y) = 1, is not a function of x on R because for every x value, there exist infinitely many y values that satisfy the equation. This can be seen by rearranging the equation to y = sin^-1(1) - x and plotting it, which results in a linear graph with a gradient of 1. However, since the function sin(θ) = 1 has infinitely many solutions, the given relation is not a function.
CatWhisperer
Is "sin(x + y) = 1" a function of x on R?

Homework Statement

Determine if the following relation is a function of [itex]x[/itex] on [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]:

[tex]sin(x + y)=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange to make [itex]y[/itex] the subject:

[tex]y = sin^{-1}(1) - x[/tex]

Then, I simply calculated some points and plotted a graph, which was linear. The points I used:

(-3, 4.57)
(-2, 3.57)
(-1, 2.57)
(0, 1.57)
(1, 0.57)
(2, -0.43)
(3, -1.43)
(4, -2.43)

As you can see, this would produce a linear graph with a gradient of [itex]m = 1[/itex]; however, the solution that has been given states that this is not a function, because for all [itex]x\in\mathbb R[/itex] there exist infinitely many [itex]y[/itex] values.

Appreciate any help in explaining why this is so, as I am stumped :)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
CatWhisperer said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the following relation is a function of [itex]x[/itex] on [itex]\mathbb R[/itex]:

[tex]sin(x + y)=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearrange to make [itex]y[/itex] the subject:

[tex]y = sin^{-1}(1) - x[/tex]

Then, I simply calculated some points and plotted a graph, which was linear. The points I used:

(-3, 4.57)
(-2, 3.57)
(-1, 2.57)
(0, 1.57)
(1, 0.57)
(2, -0.43)
(3, -1.43)
(4, -2.43)

As you can see, this would produce a linear graph with a gradient of [itex]m = 1[/itex]; however, the solution that has been given states that this is not a function, because for all [itex]x\in\mathbb R[/itex] there exist infinitely many [itex]y[/itex] values.

Appreciate any help in explaining why this is so, as I am stumped :)

Thanks in advance.

For how many values of θ is sin(θ) = 1 ?

Or, to elaborate on SammyS's question, if ##x=0## can you find more than one ##y## that works?

FAQ: Is sin(x + y) = 1 a function of x on R?

1. Is sin(x + y) = 1 a function of x on R?

Yes, sin(x + y) = 1 is a function of x on R. This is because for every value of x on the real number line, there is only one corresponding output value of 1 for sin(x + y).

2. What is the domain of sin(x + y) = 1?

The domain of sin(x + y) = 1 is all real numbers (R). This means that any value of x on the real number line is a valid input for this function.

3. What is the range of sin(x + y) = 1?

The range of sin(x + y) = 1 is a single value, which is 1. This is because no matter what values of x and y are chosen, the output will always be 1.

4. How can we graph sin(x + y) = 1?

To graph sin(x + y) = 1, we can use a 3D graph with x and y axes representing the input values and the z-axis representing the output value of 1. The graph will be a plane parallel to the x-y plane at a height of 1.

5. Can we change the equation sin(x + y) = 1 to make it a function of y on R?

Yes, we can change the equation sin(x + y) = 1 to make it a function of y on R by solving for y. This will result in the equation y = sin^-1(1 - x), where x is the input value and y is the output value. This equation will still be a function, as for every value of y on the real number line, there is only one corresponding input value of x.

Back