Is Space Discrete: Exploring the Rationality of Pi

In summary, according to the content, space may be discrete or smooth, and if space is discrete, then circles do not exist in the real world. Pie would also not exist in this case.
amppatel
I've been reading that it is, there is a smallest volume of space, if this is so then there is also a smallest length.

So what i was wondering is that if there is a smallest length than any length could be measures exactly, like the circumfrence of a circle and the diameter, so if:

[tex]\pi[/tex]D=Circumfrence
then
[tex]\pi=circumfrence/D[/tex]

If circumfrence and D are whole numbers, doesn't that mean that pie would be a rational number?! I am sooo confused!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
amppatel said:
I've been reading that it is, there is a smallest volume of space, if this is so then there is also a smallest length.

So what i was wondering is that if there is a smallest length than any length could be measures exactly, like the circumfrence of a circle and the diameter, so if:

[tex]\pi[/tex]D=Circumfrence
then
[tex]\pi=circumfrence/D[/tex]

If circumfrence and D are whole numbers, doesn't that mean that pie would be a rational number?! I am sooo confused!

Yes, if space is discrete then we could only have polygons, or something. The discreteness of space is right at the frontiers of research, so everyone doing it is confused. Anyway, if space is discrete (which is only a conjecture at the moment), the little bits of which it is made of are very small, and we can't see them even with our best current experiments. So we are not making any sort of big mistake if we pretend space is smooth and circles exist in the real world. Just like your TV screen is discrete, but if the resolution is very high, then the image still looks smooth.

so if it is discrete then pie would be rational?

amppatel said:
so if it is discrete then pie would be rational?

Ha, ha. To be honest, I don't know. I guess that circles won't even exist in the real world in that case.

There will always be the perfect imaginary world of Euclidean geometry, where pi will always be irrational. It's just that we won't be able to use that perfect imaginary world to describe the real world.

atyy said:
It's just that we won't be able to use that perfect imaginary world to describe the real world...
... on very small scales.

cristo said:
... on very small scales.

Yeah! very,very,very,very,very,very,very ... small scales:rofl:

atyy said:
Yeah! very,very,very,very,very,very,very ... small scales:rofl:

Oh, I forgot, and already on very, very large scales - not because space is discrete - but because spacetime is curved, and Euclidean geometry is flat.:smile:

If space is discrete what stops the discrete (packages) merging, i guess individual (packages) of space would have to be attracting other wise holes could occur.

wolram said:
If space is discrete what stops the discrete (packages) merging, i guess individual (packages) of space would have to be attracting other wise holes could occur.

This stuff is really right at the edge of research, so we have no idea what's right or wrong. All current attempts to make discrete theory of spacetime may eventually fail, but I'll give some links to what seem to be promising leads:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0408048
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0601121
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0606100

I should add this cautionary statement from John Baez: A lot of people read pop books about quantum mechanics, black holes, or Gödel's theorem, and immediately want to study those subjects. Without the necessary background, they soon become frustrated - or worse, flaky.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/books.html

ooo i get it now, if space is discrete there is no such thing as a circle so the formula doesn't apply! Cheers for the help! So space being discrete hasn't been proven? I read the Three Roads to Quantum Gravity and the author put across that is was definitely right.

amppatel said:
So space being discrete hasn't been proven? I read the Three Roads to Quantum Gravity and the author put across that is was definitely right.

Ha, ha! I have never read that book myself. But Smolin wrote a notorious book "The Trouble With Physics", which accused string theorists of misleading the public that string theory was destined to be right! Yeah, as far as I know, neither string theory, nor Smolin's own theory is known to be right at the moment.

Marcus has a very good thread on this forum with updates of the latest theories of discrete spacetime - what I like about his posts is that there's tons of nonsense in this area, and he chooses stuff that has at least some promise.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=7245

atyy said:
if space is discrete (which is only a conjecture at the moment), the little bits of which it is made of are very small, and we can't see them even with our best current experiments.

and probably not ever since elementary particles are spread out over a large area by the uncertainty principle. which is convenient since if they weren't then we would expect weird quantum effects to altar their interactions.

wolram said:

attracting? things attract one another through space. I'm not sure the same idea can be applied to space itself.

I tend to think of the smallest units of space as just numbers. (or vectors. or maybe tensors).

If space is indeed discrete, that would not automatically mean pi was rational! It would only mean that, in practice, there can be no perfect circle. Indeed, even if space is not discrete, (let's assume for the moment it's not) any circle you would construct (by building one, drawing one, whatever) would be made up out of matter whose atoms cannot possibly form a perfect circle.

Nick89 said:
If space is indeed discrete, that would not automatically mean pi was rational! It would only mean that, in practice, there can be no perfect circle. Indeed, even if space is not discrete, (let's assume for the moment it's not) any circle you would construct (by building one, drawing one, whatever) would be made up out of matter whose atoms cannot possibly form a perfect circle.

surely in continuous space you CAN draw a perfect circle. i think haha

If space is discrete would photons emitted by extremely remote objects [like GRB's] be more diffracted than photons emitted by nearby objects?

amppatel said:
surely in continuous space you CAN draw a perfect circle. i think haha

Not with any kind of matter, since the particles making up the matter will cause the circle to be 'pixelated' if you look from close by enough. Compare it to zooming in on a circle you drew on your computer. If you don't zoom in it looks nearly perfect, but once you zoom in and see the individual pixels you see it's actually just squares aligned in a circle: not a perfect circle.

1. Is there evidence to support the idea that space is discrete instead of continuous?

There is ongoing research and debate in the scientific community about the nature of space. Some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, suggest that space may be composed of discrete units at the smallest scales. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support this idea.

2. How does this idea relate to the irrational number pi?

The concept of a discrete space challenges our understanding of pi, which is traditionally defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter in a continuous space. If space is indeed discrete, the idea of a perfect circle and a constant value for pi may need to be reexamined.

3. What are some potential implications of space being discrete?

If space is proven to be discrete, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of reality. It could also impact our ability to accurately measure and predict the behavior of objects in space.

4. How would this idea impact current models and theories in physics?

The idea of a discrete space could potentially challenge many established models and theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. It could also lead to the development of new theories to better explain the behavior of matter and energy in a discrete space.

5. What are the current methods being used to study the discreteness of space?

Scientists are using a variety of methods, including high-energy particle experiments, astronomical observations, and mathematical models to explore the concept of a discrete space. However, due to the complexity of the issue, the research is still in its early stages and further studies are needed to fully understand the nature of space.