Is Taking Physics II and Intro. to Electrical Science Concurrently a Good Idea?

• Thread starter mindheavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's considerations for their summer class schedule in Mechanical Engineering. They are planning to take Statics and are considering taking Physics II as well. However, they are unsure if they should delay Physics II until the Fall semester, as it is a prerequisite for a class they will be taking then. They ask for opinions on whether it is doable to take Physics II and the other class concurrently. The conversation ends with advice to speak with the instructor and their academic advisor for guidance on course selection.
mindheavy
For Mechanical Engineering, I'm thinking about my summer class schedule, enrollment opens soon. I am almost certainly taking Statics, and am considering Physics II.

My hesitation is that I could delay Physics II until the Fall semester and just focus on Statics this summer. This would also allow more time to study Physics instead of compressing the class to eight weeks. The only problem with that is one class I will be taking in the Fall (Introduction to Electrical Science) has Physics II as a prerequisite. Does anyone know if taking Physics II and Intro. to Electrical Science concurrently is doable? Bad idea?

Here are the course descriptions from the catalog:

Physics II
A continuation of Physics I dealing with magnetism, electricity, and light. (Prerequisites: Physics I and Calculus II)

Introduction to Electrical Science
Elements of electrical engineering; AC and DC Circuits, mesh and nodal formulation of network equations, steady-state response to sinusoids and step function, energy, power, power factor, Thevenin and Norton analysis, Laplace transforms. Introduction to PSPICE. (Prerequisites: Physics II and Calculus II)

Additional note: I have had a semester of both "AC & DC Circuit Analysis" so I have had some experience with at least electrical circuits, neither of these classes were Calculus based, however AC Circuits was a pretty challenging class.

My Fall semester, with Physics II as a possibility also includes:
Introduction to Electrical Science
Calculus III (multivariable / vector calculus)
Elementary Dynamics

Physics news on Phys.org
See, this is exactly the type of question that you should be asking your Academic Advisor. I mean, practically all of us here have no clue on the nature of these classes since they are specific to your school. Your advisor does! He/she also has information on your ability and grades so far and can figure out what you can and cannot handle.

You should also keep in mind that a summer session is a semester compressed into just a few weeks! Do you really want to take more than one classes during the summer? Can you handle the intensive workload?

Zz.

Last edited:
mindheavy said:
The only problem with that is one class I will be taking in the Fall (Introduction to Electrical Science) has Physics II as a prerequisite. Does anyone know if taking Physics II and Intro. to Electrical Science concurrently is doable? Bad idea?

You should talk to the person who will be teaching Intro to Electrical Science, or at least someone who has taught it before. At the college where I work, the registration system won't let you register yourself for a course if you don't have all the official prerequisites. You have to get permission from the instructor, and the instructor has to e-mail the registrar and ask her to add the student to the class "by hand", overriding the prerequisite.

ZapperZ said:
See, this is exactly the type of question that you should be asking your Academic Advisor. I mean, practically all of us here have no clue on the nature of these classes since they are specific to your school.

jtbell said:
You should talk to the person who will be teaching Intro to Electrical Science...

Thanks, I do plan to speak with the instructor in the coming week if possible. I was hoping someone possibly had an idea of how much from Physics II might be needed given the course description of Electrical Science, but you're right, I don't expect anyone to know exactly what this one course at one college is made of, was just open to opinions.

I would recommend that you carefully consider your options and make a decision based on your individual strengths and goals. It is important to prioritize your workload and ensure that you are able to manage your time effectively. Taking on too many challenging courses at once can lead to burnout and a decrease in academic performance.

In terms of taking Physics II and Introduction to Electrical Science concurrently, it is possible but it may be a challenging workload. It is important to consider your previous experience with electrical circuits and your understanding of calculus. If you feel confident in your abilities and are willing to dedicate the necessary time and effort, then it may be a feasible option. However, if you have any doubts or concerns, it may be better to focus on one course at a time and delay taking Physics II until the fall.

Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or a professor in the engineering department for their input and advice. They may be able to provide more specific guidance based on your individual situation and course load. It is important to weigh all factors and make a decision that will set you up for success in your studies.

1. Can you recommend a specific class for my major?

As a scientist, I cannot make specific recommendations for classes as it depends on your individual interests and career goals. I suggest speaking with an academic advisor or conducting research on classes related to your major.

2. How do I know if a class will be too difficult for me?

It is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses when deciding on a class. You can also read course descriptions, look at the syllabus, and talk to other students who have taken the class to get a better understanding of the course load and expectations.

3. Should I take a class that is outside of my major?

It can be beneficial to take classes outside of your major to broaden your knowledge and skills. However, it is important to prioritize classes that are required for your major first.

4. Are there any classes that are recommended for all students?

There are often general education requirements that all students must fulfill, such as English, math, and science courses. It is important to check with your school's requirements to see which classes are recommended for all students.

5. How do I choose between two classes that fulfill the same requirement?

Consider looking at the course descriptions, talking to students who have taken the classes, and looking at the syllabus to see which class aligns more with your interests and learning style. You can also consult with an academic advisor for guidance.