Is the angular acceleration of a rolling object constant?

This is due to the fact that the distance of different particles from the axis of rotation may be different and hence the linear speed and tangential acceleration may vary.In summary, the torque caused by friction causes an angular acceleration and the angular velocity increases from the bottom to the top. When a particle on the rim goes upwards, its speed increases, but when it comes down, it slows down and reaches zero at the bottom. This is because the direction of the torque changes, causing the angular acceleration to decrease. The angular velocity keeps increasing until it reaches the bottom, where it suddenly decreases due to the changing torque direction.
applestrudle
I understand that the torque caused by the friction must cause an angular acceleration, and it makes sense that the angular velocity increases from the bottom to the top so if there was a particle on the rim, as it went upwards it's speed would increase but what happens when it comes down again?

My intuition tells me it would slow down and reach zero at the bottom (when it comes into contact with the floor) but I don't see how that can happen given the direction of the torque? There doesn't seem to be any torque which should cause the angular acceleration to decrease again.

Does that mean the angular velocity keeps increasing until it reaches the bottom where it suddenly decreases? But what torque is causing that?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity and angular acceleration of a rotating rigid body are same for every particle on the body .They may be variable in nature i.e may change with time .

The linear speed and the tangential acceleration of different particles may be different for different particles .

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the measure of how quickly the object is rotating around an axis. It is expressed in radians per second squared.

2. Is the angular acceleration of a rolling object constant?

No, the angular acceleration of a rolling object is not always constant. It depends on various factors such as the shape, mass, and surface of the object, as well as external forces acting on it.

3. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration measures the change in rotational speed, while linear acceleration measures the change in linear speed. Angular acceleration is also expressed in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is expressed in meters per second squared.

4. How is angular acceleration calculated?

The formula for angular acceleration is given by α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. How do external forces affect the angular acceleration of a rolling object?

External forces such as friction, air resistance, and applied torque can cause changes in the angular acceleration of a rolling object. These forces can either increase or decrease the object's rotational speed, resulting in a change in angular acceleration.