Is the Big Bang Theory the end of time, not beginning?

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent experiment that suggests future events can affect the past for an atom, causing confusion about the timeline of atoms and whether the end of time for them is the same as the Big Bang Theory. However, further clarification and citation of sources is needed to fully understand the topic. The topic also raises questions about the standard cosmic model and the concept of a beginning of time.
Comfort_Cube
I am by no means familiar with anything in quantum physics, so bear with me. This recent experiment that proved that future events can affect the past for an atom got me thinking, does that mean that, the timeline of atoms is the opposite of ours, and that the end of time for them is what we consider the Big Bang Theory? Also, I'm sure I misunderstood parts of the article I read about the experiment, so, can you clarify what exactly was done?

Edit: I'm sorry. I didn't cite a source. Here's the article:
https://cosmosmagazine.com/physical-sciences/time-travel-and-single-atom

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Comfort_Cube said:
This recent experiment that proved that future events can affect the past for an atom got me thinking,

I am not aware of any experiment that did that. In fact if it did it would cause a big problem for science since it would violate causality.

You are likely referring to theories along the following lines:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation

The backward in time waves do not cause any problems because they are basically undetectable - at least no one has figured out how to detect them. And it has no impact on the Big Bang.

Thanks
Bill

It's difficult if not impossible to know what people mean by "Big Bang Theory".
the standard cosmic model used in research is called LambdaCDM. It does not necessarily require time to begin at the start of expansion. there are versions where time extends back before start of expansion and they can fit the data as well as versions that break down at the start and don't extend back further.

For an example, google "LambdaCDM bounce" and check out the article on arXiv.org by Cai and Wilson-Ewing.

Sometimes I think when people say "Big Bang" they mean the start of expansion. This shouldn't be equated with "the beginning of time" because so far we have no scientific evidence that there was a beginning of time or that it coincided with the start of expansion in the standard cosmic model.

Comfort_Cube said:
I am by no means familiar with anything in quantum physics, so bear with me. This recent experiment that proved that future events can affect the past for an atom got me thinking, does that mean that, the timeline of atoms is the opposite of ours, and that the end of time for them is what we consider the Big Bang Theory? Also, I'm sure I misunderstood parts of the article I read about the experiment, so, can you clarify what exactly was done?

What "recent experiment"?

This forum requires that you make a habit of making proper citation of your sources. So please do that. Otherwise, we have no idea if you are reading things correctly, making the right interpretation, or just didn't understand what you encountered.

Secondly, you might want to read the PF rules once again, especially on speculative post.

Zz.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific model that explains the origin and expansion of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. Is the Big Bang Theory the widely accepted explanation for the beginning of the universe?

Yes, the Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe. It is supported by a vast amount of evidence, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the observed expansion of the universe.

3. Does the Big Bang Theory also explain the end of time?

No, the Big Bang Theory does not necessarily imply an end of time. It describes the beginning of the universe and its expansion, but it does not make predictions about the end of the universe or the concept of time. Time is a complex concept that is still being studied and understood by scientists.

4. Are there alternative explanations for the beginning of the universe?

Yes, there are alternative theories that attempt to explain the beginning of the universe, such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, these theories have been largely discredited and do not have as much scientific evidence supporting them as the Big Bang Theory.

5. Can the Big Bang Theory and the concept of time coexist?

Yes, the Big Bang Theory and the concept of time can coexist. The Big Bang Theory describes the beginning of the universe, but it does not necessarily contradict the concept of time. In fact, many scientists are still studying and trying to understand the relationship between time and the universe.