Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Big Bang Theory the end of time, not beginning?

1. Jun 27, 2015 #1
    I am by no means familiar with anything in quantum physics, so bear with me. This recent experiment that proved that future events can affect the past for an atom got me thinking, does that mean that, the timeline of atoms is the opposite of ours, and that the end of time for them is what we consider the Big Bang Theory? Also, I'm sure I misunderstood parts of the article I read about the experiment, so, can you clarify what exactly was done?

Edit: I'm sorry. I didn't cite a source. Here's the article:
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/physical-sciences/time-travel-and-single-atom

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2015 #2

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

I am not aware of any experiment that did that. In fact if it did it would cause a big problem for science since it would violate causality.

You are likely referring to theories along the following lines:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation

The backward in time waves do not cause any problems because they are basically undetectable - at least no one has figured out how to detect them. And it has no impact on the Big Bang.

Thanks
    Bill

4. Jun 27, 2015 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's difficult if not impossible to know what people mean by "Big Bang Theory".
    the standard cosmic model used in research is called LambdaCDM. It does not necessarily require time to begin at the start of expansion. there are versions where time extends back before start of expansion and they can fit the data as well as versions that break down at the start and don't extend back further.

For an example, google "LambdaCDM bounce" and check out the article on arXiv.org by Cai and Wilson-Ewing.

Sometimes I think when people say "Big Bang" they mean the start of expansion. This shouldn't be equated with "the beginning of time" because so far we have no scientific evidence that there was a beginning of time or that it coincided with the start of expansion in the standard cosmic model.

5. Jun 27, 2015 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What "recent experiment"?

This forum requires that you make a habit of making proper citation of your sources. So please do that. Otherwise, we have no idea if you are reading things correctly, making the right interpretation, or just didn't understand what you encountered.

Secondly, you might want to read the PF rules once again, especially on speculative post.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook