Is the book incorrect here? Systems of diff eqs.

In summary, the conversation is about finding eigenvectors and eigenvalues for a coefficient matrix A. The speaker believes the book's solution is wrong and provides their own solution, but realizes that their eigenvectors are just scaled differently from the book's. Another person confirms that the eigenvectors are the same, just scaled differently, and clarifies that any nonzero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is also an eigenvector for the same eigenvalue.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Here is the question from my book along with their solution to the problem :

Part 1 : http://gyazo.com/6467751155edcefec6cc583d164d2ae7
Part 2 : http://gyazo.com/d91752f0a18a72af96f6afc74117f011
Part 3 : http://gyazo.com/7a17dbca3e414d0ddc8458abce2eda9c

Homework Equations

I'll denote the coefficient matrix by the letter A.
I denote my null space operator by N.
t is the transpose of a vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm almost positive the book is wrong here. Here's my solution.

Assume that [itex]x = εe^{λt}[/itex] so our equation becomes :

[itex]λεe^{λt} = Aεe^{λt} \Rightarrow (A - λI)ε = 0[/itex]

So we seek eigenvector(s) ε such that the above equation is satisfied. So let's find the eigenvalues for A ( I'll skip some of the boring algebra here ) :

[itex]det(A - λI) = (λ-3)(λ+1)[/itex] Thus λ1 = 3 and λ2 = -1 are eigenvalues for A.

Now to find the eigenvectors for the eigenvalues, we seek the null space of A - λjI. So :

[itex]ε(λ_1) = N(A - 3I) = span\left\{{[1/2 \space \space 1]^t}\right\} [/itex]

[itex]ε(λ_2) = N(A + I) = span\left\{{[-1/2 \space \space 1]^t}\right\} [/itex]

See ^ for some reason I get different eigenvectors than the book does. Everything else that follows after this is exactly the same as the book except my eigenvectors.

Have I made an error somewhere? Or is the book wrong in this case? Some clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Here is the question from my book along with their solution to the problem :

Part 1 : http://gyazo.com/6467751155edcefec6cc583d164d2ae7
Part 2 : http://gyazo.com/d91752f0a18a72af96f6afc74117f011
Part 3 : http://gyazo.com/7a17dbca3e414d0ddc8458abce2eda9c

Homework Equations

I'll denote the coefficient matrix by the letter A.
I denote my null space operator by N.
t is the transpose of a vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I'm almost positive the book is wrong here. Here's my solution.

Assume that [itex]x = εe^{λt}[/itex] so our equation becomes :

[itex]λεe^{λt} = Aεe^{λt} \Rightarrow (A - λI)ε = 0[/itex]

So we seek eigenvector(s) ε such that the above equation is satisfied. So let's find the eigenvalues for A ( I'll skip some of the boring algebra here ) :

[itex]det(A - λI) = (λ-3)(λ+1)[/itex] Thus λ1 = 3 and λ2 = -1 are eigenvalues for A.

Now to find the eigenvectors for the eigenvalues, we seek the null space of A - λjI. So :

[itex]ε(λ_1) = N(A - 3I) = span\left\{{[1/2 \space \space 1]^t}\right\} [/itex]

[itex]ε(λ_2) = N(A + I) = span\left\{{[-1/2 \space \space 1]^t}\right\} [/itex]

See ^ for some reason I get different eigenvectors than the book does. Everything else that follows after this is exactly the same as the book except my eigenvectors.

Have I made an error somewhere? Or is the book wrong in this case? Some clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No, you are getting the same eigenvectors, but just scaled differently. Instead of <1/2,1> the book uses <1,2>, and instead of <-1/2,1> the book uses <1,-2>. Eigenvectors are, of course, not unique: any nonzero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is also an eigevector for the same eigenvalue.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
No, you are getting the same eigenvectors, but just scaled differently. Instead of <1/2,1> the book uses <1,2>, and instead of <-1/2,1> the book uses <1,-2>. Eigenvectors are, of course, not unique: any nonzero scalar multiple of an eigenvector is also an eigevector for the same eigenvalue.

RGV

Ahh yes, I remember now. So multiply my first one by 2 and my second one by -2 to get the same answer as they have.

Thanks for clearing that up for me RGV.

1. Is the book always correct when it comes to systems of differential equations?

No, the book may contain errors or outdated information. It is always important to double check the solutions and techniques presented in the book with other reliable sources.

2. How do I determine if the book is incorrect in its approach to solving a system of differential equations?

You can compare the steps and solutions presented in the book with other reputable sources, such as academic journals or textbooks. If there are discrepancies, it is possible that the book may be incorrect.

3. Can a book have typos or mistakes in solving systems of differential equations?

Yes, like any other publication, books can have errors. It is important to carefully review the steps and solutions presented in the book and verify them with other sources.

4. What should I do if I find an error in the book's solution to a system of differential equations?

You can consult with your professor or a fellow scientist to confirm the error. If it is indeed incorrect, you can reach out to the publisher or author to inform them of the mistake.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me check the accuracy of a book's solutions to systems of differential equations?

Yes, there are various online platforms and forums where mathematicians and scientists discuss and verify solutions to differential equations. You can also consult with your peers or professors for their insights.