Is the D.E. Solution Affected by the Presence of a Non-Homogeneous Term?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Damped Systems
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Darkmisc
Messages
222
Reaction score
31

Homework Statement



Let ay'' + by' +cy = R(x)

Determining whether a system is under/over/critically damped depends on the size of b^2 compared to 4ac.

Does it depend at all on R(x)?


Homework Equations



Characteristic equation, quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've found a general solution to a D.E. where b^2 < 4ac, and is therefore underdamped (if the D.E = 0)

However, I'm not sure if I can still conclude that the system is underdamped if the D.E. = R(x).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look after the definition of being under/over/critically damped.

ehild
 
Darkmisc said:

Homework Statement



Let ay'' + by' +cy = R(x)

Determining whether a system is under/over/critically damped depends on the size of b^2 compared to 4ac.

Does it depend at all on R(x)?
No, it does not. As ehild suggests, surely the definition of "under/over/critically damped" is given in your text?


Homework Equations



Characteristic equation, quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've found a general solution to a D.E. where b^2 < 4ac, and is therefore underdamped (if the D.E = 0)

However, I'm not sure if I can still conclude that the system is underdamped if the D.E. = R(x).
 
Thanks. The definition only referred to b^2 - 4ac without explicitly stating that R(x) was irrelevant to damping.