Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Earth really round?

1. Nov 20, 2017 #1
    I mean it would be impossible for Earth to be fully spherical as it would be too bumpy to be a sphere shape.

If this is the case, why is Earth considered round?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

'Cause it's close enough for government work. You do the math. Figure out the tallest mountain as a percentage of the radius of the Earth.

Also, you forgot to mention tidal bulge and deformations due to (1) mass distribution differences and (2) the fact that the Earth is spinning.

Oh, and by the way, it is NOT considered round by scientists when they are being precise. That's just a pop-science simplification.

4. Nov 20, 2017 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because it looks round?

hmmm.... I think this would make an interesting experiment:

Find the highest resolution image of the earth from outer space, and see if you can detect a difference in diameter when measuring along the equator vs from pole to pole.​

The highest resolution image I've found so far is 11,500 x 11,500 pixels, at NASA. [ref] Though, they claim it's a composite, and they claim there are even larger composites!

5. Nov 20, 2017 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Jacinta! :oldsmile:

On a scale where we can see the entire earth, it's pretty hard to see that the earth is not exactly a sphere.
    We should not be able to distinguish any mountain, since even the highest mountain is insignificant in comparison with earth's size (0.15%).
    If we see anything, it's that the earth is about 0.5% bigger on the equator than on the poles as @OmCheeto mentioned.
    The earth is probably closer to a sphere than anything in every day life that we consider spherical. o_O

6. Nov 20, 2017 #5
    I don't think this looks very spherical??? Looks more like my cats chew toy.

geoide.png

This is a sphere.

giphy.gif

7. Nov 20, 2017 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the earth spins the radius is about 13 miles greater at the equator than the poles.

8. Nov 20, 2017 #7
    But it's dumb, shouldn't scientists do something about this? A sphere is something you can roll around, I don't think you can roll around the Earth.

9. Nov 20, 2017 #8
    So, in simple terms, you think that the Earth decreases in miles closer to the equator?

10. Nov 20, 2017 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Increases.

11. Nov 20, 2017 #10
    How? Isn't the equator fatter than the north pole?

Edit: Nvm, read wrong

12. Nov 20, 2017 #11

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Indeed. That doesn't look spherical at all.
    It looks more like a model of the earth that a cat chewed on! :nb)

For reference, earth actually looks like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Nov 20, 2017 #12

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would you consider a billiard ball as being spherical? If so, if you were to scale the Earth down to the size of billiard ball, the roughness of it surface due to mountains a valleys would be less than the manufacturing tolerances for irregularities for a billiard ball. Even including the equatorial bulge leaves the Earth pretty close to that tolerance.

14. Nov 20, 2017 #13
    From a far it gives off a spherical illusion, but it actually looks like a cats chew toy.

15. Nov 20, 2017 #14
    Yes, because a billiard ball can roll around.

The Earth can't roll around but spin around, there is a difference.

16. Nov 20, 2017 #15
    Rolling:

giphy.gif

Spinning:

spinning-gif-9.gif

17. Nov 20, 2017 #16

I like Serena

Homework Helper

But... a Simpson that can spin can also roll can't he?
    Round or not.

giphy.gif

18. Nov 20, 2017 #17
    That's because his body sideways is rollable because of his cylinder shape.

We are discussing spheres.

19. Nov 20, 2017 #18
    Jacinta @5 - this -

geoide-png.png

- is not an image of the Earth as it is, but is an artificially created image intended to show something other than the Earth's physical shape. Not sure exactly what it shows - gravitational potential of Earth with oceans removed maybe?

This is an image of the Earth - ( in this case, showing the shadow of the Moon during an eclipse in 2017)

StudyingEarth_3.jpg

20. Nov 20, 2017 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it's just standard pop-science. YOU do something about it if you actually imagine that you are going to change the culture of popular science reporting. Saying that popular science reporting is dumb is a tautology and a waste of breath.

21. Nov 20, 2017 #20
    Interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted