Is the EIT Exam Crucial for a Career in Aerospace?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Freeman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aerospace Industry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Greg Freeman
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
I know the EIT test is important for HVAC, infrastructure, and civil engineering, but how important is it for the aerospace/aviation industry? Does it make a difference at all if someone is completely involved in the private aerospace industry?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg,
I worked for the aerospace industry for 8 years after college (rocket launching from Cape Canaveral and Vandenburg, AFB). As far as I could tell, there was very little to no advantage to being an EIT or PE in that industry.

I've worked for a chemical company for 12 years since then, and still there seems to be very little advantage to being a PE. I think in general, there is little if any advantage to being a PE in large companies. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say there is a 10 to 20 % advantage, but most if not all of that advantage is in the fact that those people are generally more likely to work that much harder. It has little, if anything to do with the piece of paper.
 
I agree. I decided to put off the PE exam for quite a while. I just have no need for it. If I do decide to take it, it would be for personal reasons only. There are quite a few PEs in our company, but none of them have any requirement for putting their stamp of approval on anything.

Personally, I think every engineer should have to take and pass the EIT. But that's just my opinion.
 
If you're still in school, you might as well take the FE (EIT) exam. It's very broad, so if you decide to pursue a PE later on, you won't have to relearn lots of (albeit fundamental) concepts.

It's a little expensive, and quite long, but extremely easy if you are at an ABET accredited school.