Is the following Idea well-known/usefull? The points of T not surrounded by A

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a new set A\widehat{}, which is defined as the set of points in a metric space V that are not "surrounded on all sides" by a given subset A. Examples were provided to illustrate this concept, and the motivation behind this definition was explained as an attempt to solve a specific problem involving smooth functions. The conversation also touches on the preservation of this property under chains of inclusions and the possibility of it being equivalent to the concept of an interior point.
deluks917
Is the following Idea well-known/usefull? The points of T not "surrounded" by A

Let V be a metric space. Given a subset A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]V we define a new set A[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] to be equal to the set {x|for any open ball B1 with x [itex]\in[/itex]B1 there exists B2 s.t. B2 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B1 and B2 [itex]\cap[/itex] A = ∅}.

Examples: Let T be ℝ2. Let Δ = open unit ball. Then Δ[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] = ΔC (its compliment). Let Y = the line (t,t) t\inℝ then Y[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] = ℝ2.

I'm thinking of A[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] as the points not "surrounded on all sides by A". The motivation for this definition is my attempt to solve the following problem: If f:ℝ→ℝ is smooth and given any x [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ fn(x) eventually vanishes for all n>k then f is a polynomial. If I could prove that the property BC = B[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] is preserved for some families of sets under chains of inclusions I can solve the above problem. However I'm interested in if this property is equivalent to something obvious I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org

deluks917 said:
Let V be a metric space. Given a subset A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]V we define a new set A[itex]\widehat{}[/itex] to be equal to the set {x|for any open ball B1 with x [itex]\in[/itex]B1 there exists B2 s.t. B2 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B1 and B2 [itex]\cap[/itex] A = ∅}.

Is B2 also an open ball?

Do your course materials define an "interior point of A"? I think you have defined the complement of the interior of A.

FAQ: Is the following Idea well-known/usefull? The points of T not surrounded by A

What is the idea of "points of T not surrounded by A"?

The idea of "points of T not surrounded by A" refers to a concept in mathematics where a set of points, represented by T, are not completely enclosed within a larger set, represented by A. This means that there are points within T that do not have any neighboring points within A.

Why is this idea important in science?

This idea is important in science because it can help us understand the relationships between different sets of data. By identifying points of T that are not surrounded by A, we can gain insights into the gaps or outliers in our data and potentially discover new patterns or connections.

Is this idea well-known in the scientific community?

The concept of "points of T not surrounded by A" is well-known among mathematicians and scientists who work with sets and data analysis. However, it may not be as familiar to those in other fields. Regardless, it is a well-established and useful idea in scientific research.

How can this idea be applied in real-world situations?

This idea can be applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as analyzing data in fields like economics, social sciences, and biology. For example, identifying points of T not surrounded by A in economic data could reveal potential market inefficiencies or anomalies.

Are there any limitations to this idea?

As with any concept, there may be limitations or exceptions to the idea of "points of T not surrounded by A". It is important to carefully consider the context and potential biases when applying this idea to any scientific research or analysis.