1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set of points of strict increase is Borel

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

I'm thinking about the following exercise from Intro to stoch. analysis:

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a continuous, nondecreasing function on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] its Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure. Say [itex]t[/itex] is a point of strict increase for [itex]V[/itex] if [itex] V(s) < V(t) < V(u)[/itex] for all [itex]s<t[/itex] and all [itex]u>t[/itex]. Let [itex]I[/itex] be the set of such points. Show that [itex]I[/itex] is a Borel set and [itex]\Lambda(I^C) = 0[/itex].

My attempt to this exercise:
    By definition, for any rational point [itex]t \in I[/itex] there exists an [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighbourhood of [itex]t[/itex] containing [itex]s<t[/itex] and [itex]u>t[/itex] where [itex]s,u \in I[/itex]. The neighbourhood, forming an open set, is Borel. Countable (due to rationality of [itex]t[/itex]s) union of these neighbourhoods forms [itex]I[/itex] which is Borel too.

Complement of [itex]I[/itex] is hence a countable union of connected sets (say [itex]J_i, i=1,...,n[/itex]) where, due to the nondecreasing property [itex]V(x) = V(y)[/itex] for all [itex]x,y[/itex] in particular [itex]J_i[/itex]. Since [itex]\Lambda(J_i) = |V(x)-V(y)| = 0[/itex] for any connected set [itex]J_i[/itex], hence [itex]\Lambda(I^C) = \Lambda(\cup J_i) = 0[/itex].

Intuitively, I feel that my proof misses or skips something important...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    I have very little experience with measure theory, but from what I do know, this seems fine to me. If I might ask, where do you feel your proof is lacking? If you elaborate on this, I may be able to offer some input.

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your response, Christoff. My uncertainty followed from my considering only rational [itex]t[/itex]s and I was unsure whether my approach doesn't neglect some sets.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4
    Hmm, good point. I hadn't considered that. I don't think, however, that it is too difficult to show that any irrational point of strict increase is contained in one of your [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighbourhoods of a rational point.

eg. Let [itex]q\in I[/itex] be an irrational point of strict increase. Then there exists a largest open interval [itex](s,u)[/itex] containing q with [itex](s,u)\subset I[/itex]. Since the rationals are dense, there exists a rational [itex]t\in (s,u)[/itex]. Since t is rational, there exists a maximal open interval [itex](s',u')[/itex] containing t, such that [itex](s',u')\subset I[/itex]. By maximality of [itex] (s',u')[/itex], we must have [itex](s,u)\subset (s',u')[/itex].

In conclusion, you don't miss any irrational points. I think that should do it.

6. Sep 4, 2012 #5
    Thank you Christoff :-)

Probably for the irrational points it follows directly from their property of being accumulation points of sequences of rationals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook