Is the Force to Peel Off Tape the Same as the Force to Drag the Surface?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jangheej
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jangheej
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi =)
I have a question about tape peeling.
An adhesive tape is sticked onto a surface.
1) You pull the tape off the surface
2) You drag the surface so that the tape is peeled off.
(see the attachment)

Will these two forces be the same?
so... if I want to measure the force necessary to remove a piece of adhesive tape,
then can I just measure the force necessary to pull the surface?
 
Attachments
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
No. They would be if you were pulling in exactly the opposite direction, however.
 
Take this to the limit. Imagine pulling directly upwards on the tape and compare this with pulling the surface horizontally. The two situations would clearly be different. The direction is clearly very relevant.
 
Last edited: