Relationship between adhesion and friction

In summary, the adhesive tape can exert forces that are inversely proportional to the weight of the object being stuck.
Jazz
Maybe this question is pretty simple to tackle, but I’m really confused with it. Perhaps I’m just overthinking.

The question is:

The glue on a piece of tape can exert forces. Can these forces be a type of simple friction? Explain, considering especially that tape can stick to vertical walls and even to ceilings.

By simple friction means the force that opposes the motion of an object resting in a horizontal surface. So, simple friction is proportional to the normal force (source: http://cnx.org/contents/031da8d3-b525-429c-80cf-6c8ed997733a@8.9:32/College_Physics).

I really don’t get that concept of ‘simple friction’. After looking at Wikipedia I found that static and kinetic friction are a type of friction called Dry Friction, which resists lateral motion. Thus dry and simple friction would be the same.

According to what I understand, simple (dry) friction is:

- Directly proportional to the normal force.

- Independent of the area of contact.

The forces exerted by adhesive tapes, I think, are exactly the opposite: are inversely proportional to the weight of the object being stuck. If I stick a pencil to the wall, then the piece of tape will do the job but if I try to do the same with a metal bar (that weighs more), it will end unsticking. In order to avoid this I would need to put more tape, therefore increasing the area of contact.

Are these assumptions correct? If that were the case, what kind of forces does an adhesive tape exert?

Is the concept of ‘simple friction’ really used?Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jazz said:
The forces exerted by adhesive tapes, I think, are exactly the opposite: are inversely proportional to the weight of the object being stuck. If I stick a pencil to the wall, then the piece of tape will do the job but if I try to do the same with a metal bar (that weighs more), it will end unsticking. In order to avoid this I would need to put more tape, therefore increasing the area of contact.
You are right about the need to use more tape, but in the bolded text above is backwards. The force needed to support the object is directly proportional to its weight while the force exerted by a given piece of tape is constant. There's no inverse proportionality going on; the amount of tape required is directly proportional to the weight.

Are these assumptions correct? If that were the case, what kind of forces does an adhesive tape exert?
They are electrical if you dig down to the level of interactions between individual atoms at the surface of the tape.

Is the concept of ‘simple friction’ really used?
Yes, all the time, but not for things like tape which are sticky.

Nugatory said:
You are right about the need to use more tape, but in the bolded text above is backwards. The force needed to support the object is directly proportional to its weight while the force exerted by a given piece of tape is constant. There's no inverse proportionality going on; the amount of tape required is directly proportional to the weight.They are electrical if you dig down to the level of interactions between individual atoms at the surface of the tape.Yes, all the time, but not for things like tape which are sticky.

Thanks for answering.

So just to be sure, what would keep the pencil from falling is the electrical force, right? Would it have to do with chemical bonding?

Jazz said:
So just to be sure, what would keep the pencil from falling is the electrical force, right? Would it have to do with chemical bonding?

Generally we reserve the term "chemical bonding" for the electrical forces that cause atoms to form molecules and use "inter-molecular forces" for stickiness, cold welding, the way that solids retain their shape. All of these forces are ultimately electromagnetic in origin - they come from interactions between the charged particles that make up atoms - so as long as you understand the origin of the forces I wouldn't get too hung up on the terminology.

Nugatory said:
Generally we reserve the term "chemical bonding" for the electrical forces that cause atoms to form molecules and use "inter-molecular forces" for stickiness, cold welding, the way that solids retain their shape. All of these forces are ultimately electromagnetic in origin - they come from interactions between the charged particles that make up atoms - so as long as you understand the origin of the forces I wouldn't get too hung up on the terminology.

Excellent.

Thanks again !

1. What is adhesion?

Adhesion is a physical phenomenon that describes the attraction or sticking together of two different surfaces when they come into contact with each other.

2. What is friction?

Friction is the resistance to motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

3. How are adhesion and friction related?

Adhesion and friction are closely related because adhesion is one of the factors that contribute to friction. When two surfaces stick together, it creates more resistance to motion, resulting in higher friction.

4. How does adhesion affect friction?

Adhesion can increase friction by creating more contact between the two surfaces, which leads to more resistance to motion. However, adhesion can also decrease friction if it creates a stronger bond between the surfaces, reducing the relative motion between them.

5. What are some examples of the relationship between adhesion and friction?

Some examples of the relationship between adhesion and friction include the grip between a shoe and the ground, the friction between tires and the road, and the resistance between two pieces of tape when they are stuck together. In all of these cases, adhesion plays a role in determining the amount of friction between the surfaces.