Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Equivalent to One Bit of Information?

• B
  • Thread starter Nicky665
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Pair
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a bit in information theory and the idea of applying the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to it. However, this idea is refuted by the fact that quantum correlations cannot be reproduced classically. The source of this conversation is a paper on Vixra, which has not been peer-reviewed and relies on unreliable sources.
Nicky665
In information theory, one bit is typically defined as the uncertainty of a binary random variable that is 0 or 1 with equal probability,[4] or the information that is gained when the value of such a variable becomes known.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit

That sounds a lot like superposition, maybe I'm mixing things, but starting from the above,

and also from Shannon's Capacity theorem that says that "in the limit in which only a single bit of information exists within the entity being measured, only a single independent measurement can ever be made"

why can't a pair of attributes (like position+momnetum) of a quantum system be considered as having only one recoverable bit of information and saying that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle , with the equal sign, is an application over one bit ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you couldn't make a bit like that. Unfortunately there's too much "uncertainty" in the question, as it stands, to go into why not.

Please explain in more detail how you think such a bit might work. I suppose the two states ("0" and "1") of the bit would be represented by "position" vs. "momentum"? How would you set these two states? How would you then read the bit, to obtain the information of which state was set? Hopefully, in trying to answer these questions, you'll realize it's not viable. Or at least, make your idea clear enough to allow me (or whoever) to explain what's wrong with it.

Its not really my idea, I was just trying to ask some questions ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I see what it's about. That paper is by what we call a "Bell denier". Here's the conclusion:

This is the nature of the correlations being characterized by Bell’s Theorem. It has nothing to do with “spooky action at a distance”, since it is simply the consequence of an intrinsically limited information content - the defining difference between the “classical” and the “quantum”.

He's trying to explain Bell's theorem in terms of classical information theory. It's generally accepted in physics community that such attempts don't work. Quantum correlations can't be reproduced classically. But I can't say exactly what's wrong with the paper, without more study than I have time for at the moment. It seems a plausible attempt, but it's like perpetual motion machines - you might not be able to pinpoint what's wrong with it, but there must be something.

Perhaps someone else will look at it closer ... or, if you're still interested in a few days, I could do so. Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment

Of course I'm interested. :)

Nicky665 said:
Its not really my idea , I was just trying to ask some questions ...
Look carefully at that paper... You've been victimized by a crackpot. The paper hasn't been peer-reviewed or published in any reputable journal, or anywhere else for that matter. The list of references shows that the author is relying on wikipedia for his understanding of the subject. Vixra is not an acceptable source under the Physics Forums rules, because they accept stuff like this so uncritically.

This thread is closed; we don't discuss crackpottery even to debunk it.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Equivalent to One Bit of Information?

1. What is a bit as pair of attributes?

A bit as pair of attributes is a data structure used in computer science to represent a single piece of information or a binary choice. It consists of two attributes, typically labeled 0 and 1, that can be used to represent different states or values.

2. How is a bit as pair of attributes different from a traditional bit?

Unlike a traditional bit, which can only represent two states (0 or 1), a bit as pair of attributes allows for more flexibility by using two attributes to represent different states or values. This can be useful in certain applications where more than two options need to be represented.

3. What are some real-world applications of a bit as pair of attributes?

A bit as pair of attributes is commonly used in computer programming and data storage to represent binary choices, such as on/off states, true/false values, or yes/no options. It is also used in cryptography, error correction, and other fields involving binary data.

4. How is a bit as pair of attributes stored in computer memory?

In computer memory, a bit as pair of attributes is usually stored as a single unit, with the two attributes occupying one bit each. This means that a bit as pair of attributes takes up the same amount of space as a traditional bit, but can represent more information.

5. Can a bit as pair of attributes be used to represent more than two options?

Yes, a bit as pair of attributes can be extended to represent more than two options by adding additional attributes. For example, a bit as triple of attributes could represent four options (00, 01, 10, 11) and a bit as quadruple of attributes could represent eight options (000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111).