Is the intersection of two planes a line?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation of a line that passes through a given point and 2 given lines. The proof shows that if a line r intersects with two crossing lines a and b and passes through a given point P, then r is the intersection of the planes α(a,P) and β(b,P). The conversation also addresses possible weaknesses in the proof, and concludes that α∩β is indeed a line.
member 587159
This is not a homework question. School year has ended for me and I'm doing some revision on my own.

I want to proof the following because in an exercise I had to find the equation of the line that passed through a given point and 2 given lines.

If a line r intersects with 2 given crossing lines a and b and passes through a given point P, then r is the intersection of the planes α(a,P) and β(b,P).

I started like this:

Let the intersections r∩a and r∩b be equal to S1 and S2. It's obvious that r = S1S2 = S1P = S2P. We need to show that r = S1S2 = α∩β. Since a ∈ α, S1 ∈ α too. But P ∈ α∩β, because it is both in α and β. P ∈ α. Thus, S1P ∈ α. Since S1P = S1S2 = r, r ∈ α. However, P ∈ β and S2 ∈ β. Therefore, S2P ∈ β. But S2P = S1S2 = r. So r ∈ β. Therefore, r ∈ α∩β and since r and α∩β are both lines, r = α∩β and this is what we wanted to show.

Is this a correct proof? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isn't it that this only shows ##r \subseteq \alpha(a,P) \cap \beta(b,P)## ? I think without additional conditions as ##a \neq b \; , \; a \nparallel b \; , \; a ## and ##b## are skew lines or ## P \notin a \cup b## this cannot be done since the assumed situation can take place, e.g. on a single plane making it the entire intersection.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Isn't it that this only shows ##r \subseteq \alpha(a,P) \cap \beta(b,P)## ? I think without additional conditions as ##a \neq b \; , \; a \nparallel b \; , \; a ## and ##b## are skew lines or ## P \notin a \cup b## this cannot be done since the assumed situation can take place, e.g. on a single plane making it the entire intersection.

a and b are crossing lines. So, ##a \neq b \;## and ##a \nparallel b \;##.
This is mentioned in what I wanted to proof. Maybe crossing is not the right translation for what I mean. English is not my native language. Thanks for all your help though :)

Ok, but what if all three lines are planar? Then this whole plane will be the intersection.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
Ok, but what if all three lines are planar? Then this whole plane will be the intersection.

I think the OP means "crossing lines" to mean "skew lines".

Likes member 587159
micromass said:
I think the OP means "crossing lines" to mean "skew lines".

I looked up the translation for skew lined in mathematical context and this is exactly what I meant. Sorry for that on my part. Is the proof correct then?

In such cases I use the following trick: I look up the Wiki page in my language and then switch to "english". It doesn't always work, but often. And I had to look up "windschief" here. So don't mind.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
In such cases I use the following trick: I look up the Wiki page in my language and then switch to "english". It doesn't always work, but often. And I had to look up "windschief" here. So don't mind.

Useful trick, thanks. Could you verify whether the proof is correct now?

The only weakness I saw, was the knowledge that ##α∩β## is a line which is true but not obvious. With it it looks ok to me.

Likes member 587159
fresh_42 said:
The only weakness I saw, was the knowledge that ##α∩β## is a line which is true but not obvious. With it it looks ok to me.

To show that α∩β is a line, we can proof this in the following way.

There are 3 possibilities.

1) α∩β = ∅

But P ∈ α∩β, contradiction

2) α∩β is a plane

If α∩β is a plane, then α = β. But this is impossible because a ∈ α and b ∈ β and a and b are skew lines and there is no plane that goes through two skew lines. Contradiction.

3) α∩β is a line

This is the only option left.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

1. What is the definition of the intersection of two planes?

The intersection of two planes is the line where the two planes intersect and share points. This line is formed by the points that are common to both planes.

2. How can you determine if the intersection of two planes is a line?

If the two planes are not parallel, then their intersection will be a line. This can be determined by checking the slopes of the two planes. If the slopes are different, then the planes will intersect in a line.

3. Can the intersection of two planes be a point?

Yes, if the two planes are coincident (lie on top of each other) then their intersection will be a point. This means that the two planes are parallel and will never intersect in a line.

4. How many points can be found at the intersection of two planes?

If the two planes are not parallel, then their intersection will be a line. This line will have infinitely many points, as it extends infinitely in both directions. If the planes are parallel, then there will be no points at their intersection.

5. What is the relationship between the two planes and their intersection?

The two planes and their intersection are all coplanar, meaning they lie in the same plane. The intersection is created by the points that are common to both planes, making it a part of both planes. It also serves as a boundary or dividing line between the two planes.