Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the marble shot, fired, or thrown?

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    I am not an expert or even a student of physics, but I am translating a document from Spanish to English that discusses the history of Newton and Kepler.

My question is regarding frequently used terminology.

I have a sentence that translates to this: “From the edge of a table, a marble is shot/(spring) fired/thrown horizontally at the same instant and from the same height that another marble is dropped.”

Which is the more commonly used word in this instance; shot, fired, or thrown? The word used in Spanish can be interpreted as any one of these three but I am certain that there exists an often-repeated and accepted standard.

Thank you in advance for your polite response.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thrown would NOT be appropriate but either shot or fired would be OK. Personally, I would use shot.

4. Dec 21, 2012 #3
    Thank you. I will use 'shot'.

5. Dec 21, 2012 #4
    Yap, I'd say shot is the best translation. Just imagine some spanish non physicist translating physics text from english to spanish. He would probably be most confused by the word 'shot'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook